what have i let myself in for

today during a conversation (i was at my g/sons nativity)it transpired that children are'nt learning crafts they way they used to i happened to say that i could crochet and knit and sew and felt all kids should have the opportunity to learn and was asked if i could maybe consider helping to teach the pupils has anyone ever done this kind of thing i feel these crafts are in danger of dying away if our children ar'nt encouraged to try i am looking forward to any decisions the school make on this

I totally agree that children should be exposed to crafting, and so many aren't. It is so good for kids on so many levels. It improves their eye / hand coordination, their manual dexterity, teaches them PATIENCE, a much-needed,often forgotten skill, gives them a feeling of accomplishment, and what child is not thrilled and proud to wear or give away something they actually made with their own hands! I have a teacher friend who just started a crocheting / knitting club in her classroom during lunch and recesses because a couple of the girls in her room were always interested in her (the teacher's) projects or handmade things she wore. Now almost every child in her class (girls AND boys) are involved. I think it is exciting that this opportunity may open up for you. Good luck! :yay

thank -you all for the encouragement:hook i havent done any formal teaching and will have to make it up as i go along so all coments are greatly aprecciated i noticed on another thread someone else teaching beginners and i got some worthwhile tips from there so keep them coming i expect to teach 8-9yr olds girls and boys if they would like to participate

Goldie, I wish you luck with your teaching project! I've actually just gotten approval from my son's elementary school to have a crochet circle during indoor recess this winter, and I'm hoping to get a group of third, fourth and fifth grade kids to teach! I've not taught anyone to crochet for years, and haven't really ever taught kids (at least not when I was an adult -- I do remember teaching some friends when I was a kid myself), and I'm looking forward to it! The principal said that if the recess group worked out, she was going to see if she could find a way for me to be able to come in and teach a larger group of kids for a "club." I think that might be really exciting!

I agree, crafts in general, and needlecrafts like crochet are things lots of kids are not exposed to in this day and age of video games, and I think it is a nice thing to pass along. I learned from my mother, but I also helped my third-grade teacher teach other kids to crochet, and it's something they will always know how to do and they can take pride in the things they make. It's a lifelong skill!

Please keep us posted on how your teaching endeavor goes!

• 2 weeks later...

That is very cool. Wish they had done something like that at my schools. Although my 4th grade teacher taught a group of us to candlewick and in 5th grade one of our art projects included drawing a picture, transferring it to fabric, then quilting it. But crochet has always been my obsession and passion.

Archived