Lion Brand newsletters

I wonder what data was used to come up with that statistic! I have to believe that it is more like 1 crocheter for every 5 knitters! Apparently the yarn manufacturers, book and magazine publishers, the retailers, and their market researchers all agree with me!

What seems to be the most interesting to me is that several of you have mentioned that you emailed Lion Brand asking "why" and you received three different answers. Don't they know we talk? :lol I'm tempted to email them to see which response I get!

In my experience, grass roots letter campaigns have proven to be very effective. Expressing our interest in recieving more news on crocheting in a positive way may convince Lion Brand that they are missing out on 75% of their fan base!

I wonder what data was used to come up with that statistic! I have to believe that it is more like 1 crocheter for every 5 knitters! Apparently the yarn manufacturers, book and magazine publishers, the retailers, and their market researchers all agree with me!

You highlighted the point I was making. It will never matter how many crochet'ers out number the knitters, because the books, mags, and publishers will ALWAYS see crochet in a dimmer light than knitting. Its not that they agree with you, it's how our craft is looked down on. To them, crochet will always be the inferior craft, and because of that they do not give us the same "lime-light" that they give knitting, because they want to promote knitting and keep knitting on a "higher plane" than crochet. And that's not just a negative attitude, this has been proven over and over again, by crochet being all but ignored by the publishers such as Lion Brand, how crochet'ers are treated when they go into high end yarn shops, and in many other ways. The only places to go and get good reading, news, and patterns about crochet, are the media outlets that cater specifically to crochet, by those who crochet. Such as Crochetme. We have always been the crafting "step-child". And it appears that the best thing we can do is just continue to support sites such as the 'ville, crochetme, and crochetpatterncentral.com, that cater to our crafty addiction. And those of you, if any, have ever considered starting a crochet site, the time is right. We need all the promotion we can get. And lets not forget the wonderfuly talented crochet'ers here who spend their time to keep a blog with their patterns and notes. That should never go unrecognized!

I've been geting the Lion Brand newsletter, and the catalog they send by regular mail for a long time, several years. It has NEVER been balanced between knit and crochet. I laughed outloud at that. Lion brand isnt the only one. I can think of several sites (and you've heard of them all, I grant you) they tout knitting AND crochet. But what do you see when you get there? Mostly lovely knitting patterns, and a token crochet pattern or two that most times could legitmately and with good reason, be posted on "what not to crochet".

:soap Stepping down now. :)

In fairness to Lion Brand,they did run a crochet motif of the week series for quite awhile there. Of course they photographed all the motifs from the wrong side but still...

I am sorely tempted to go with a yarn boycott if we could all get together to make a difference. What time of year would we have the most effect? how would we find out when Yarn sales spike?

• 7 months later...

Archived