Iridescent Crochet Cotton

Huskerlady

I have my December 'Hooked On Crochet' magazine and there are some different snowflakes in there that I want to make. They are called Roses in the Snow and have three different designs. I am looking for the thread they say to make them with. It says size 10 crochet cotton: 75 yds white pearl. In the description on the page it says......iridescent crochet cotton makes them sparkle. Now my problem is that I am not sure just what they are using and so far haven't found iridescent in the #10 thread. Thought maybe some of you would know what they mean. I emailed the crochet book customer service, but they had no idea what kind it was. I have looked some online, but without seeing it I can't tell if it would be the iridescent or not. Being in a small town, I haven't been to a larger city to look either. Would appreciate it if anyone could tell me, if you know, what kind of thread or brand this would be. I am hoping to make some of these for Christmas.

Hmmm....Do you think they mean metallic thread? You can usually find that pretty easily. I did a Google search, but didn't find much. There is something called DMC Light Effects that appears to be available only in the UK. You might want to Google further.

I think I might have found what you're looking for! I went to Coats & Clark's website, because I know they make size 10 crochet cotton. They have a thread called "J&P Coats Royale Metallic Crochet Cotton" in the color white/pearl! I have seen this brand at Michael's, but I'm not sure if they had that particular color or not.

I have seen DMC Light Effects embroidery floss at Michael's and maybe at JoAnns.

I'd suggest trying Handy Hands Tatting at http://www.hhtatting.com. They carry a lot of threads in size 10, 20, and 30. They have pearl cotton threads, mettalic, and more.

Another resource is Hemstitching.com. They sell a nylon thread that is very shiny called America's Best.

I recently discovered variegated pearl cotton thread in size 12 (which is a little skinnier than size 10) by Valdani. It's available at DS9 Designs. I recently bought some of this thread and it's fabulous in color and shine.

From what I understand, a pearl cotton is just more shiny than a regular cotton which tends to be a dull finish.

Take care,

Lori

Many many thanks to all of you for your suggestions and help with the links. I will check them out tomorrow.......just got home from a meeting tonight and am tired. I have used some of the #10 crochet thread that has the shiny metallic strand through it, but hadn't seen any of that in white pearl. When they said iridescent I thought there was a new kind. I do appreciate your input and will let you know what I find.

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the link........ Is this like the #10 thread in weight or finer thread. Yes there could be a lot of flakes made from this. What about the color..........white or more cream looking? Do you use it by it'self or with other thread? Sorry for all the questions.........just trying to get an idea of it. Thanks for your help.

I think I might have found what you're looking for! I went to Coats & Clark's website, because I know they make size 10 crochet cotton. They have a thread called "J&P Coats Royale Metallic Crochet Cotton" in the color white/pearl! I have seen this brand at Michael's, but I'm not sure if they had that particular color or not.

I have seen DMC Light Effects embroidery floss at Michael's and maybe at JoAnns.

I think this may be what I am looking for too....thanks. I do know that any of the metallic threads would work and appreciate you all replying.

Soooooooo many ideas and places to look........ wow, the possibilities:cheer Oh....wait a minute...:think ...I have to finish what I am working on...:eek ...well maybe not...:no ...I have to have WIP's......:yes

Thanks everyone for the help :manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

Archived