How do I get the yarn thru the beads?

crochetbycharlene

Having a problem with some wooden beands. Not sure how to get them on the yarn before I start. My tapestry needle is too large.

Another thing to try is to get the plastic tooth floss threaders (I'm not sur0e of their exact name?). They have a very big eye but squish down to nothing. Just put the yarn through the eye and the eye through the bead.

Joan

Another thing to try is to get the plastic tooth floss threaders (I'm not sur0e of their exact name?). They have a very big eye but squish down to nothing. Just put the yarn through the eye and the eye through the bead.

Joan

You could probably get one if you have access to someone with braces. It seems I got a packet of them every month while I had braces, and I don't floss my teeth that much...:blush

You can find those dental floss threaders in the stores sometimes. My dad had some dental work done, so he uses them sometimes. They are hard to find sometimes and kind of on the expensive side as I recall. You'd probably be able to use each one more than once though.

Along the lines of the glue or nail polish, I wrap a piece of tape around the end of my yarn, press the ends of the tape together, and cut the tape diagonally. It makes a sharp tip at the end that allows you to thread the needle and pull the yarn through. I just snip the yarn with the tape after the needle is threaded.

I use a twisted wire needle to load my beads. You can find them at most bead suppliers, including Fire Mountain Gems http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201041BS . I use a bead spinner http://www.7beads.com/info/beadspinnerinfo.htm to load a lot of one color bead onto a yarn or thread.

• 1 year later...

I use a regular beading needle. You can get them at a Michaels or Jo Ann's, 3 in a pack for about $3. I can get a worsted weight yarn through an E bead fairly quickly and a sport weight yarn through an E bead without any trouble at all. I made a crystal beaded christening blanket for my sister with a fingering weight and E beads and it came out gorgeous and was a snap to bead. If you're using alarger bead, like an 8mm or larger, you can string them individually as you go by using a very small hook, like for thread crochet, and pulling the yarn through each bead as you need it. Not my preferred method, takes to long. I like to thread up a bunch and push them ahead of me as I go.

Good luck!

Colleen

You can also get thread, put thru a smaller needle and tie both ends together. Then put one end of your yarn thru the thread loop, pass the needle and thread thru the bead hole. The yarn will follow. So you are basically making a "guide" for the yarn, a threader, a yarn-eader LOL

Hope this helps. Try every tip and see which one works best for you.

:hug

• 3 weeks later...

Archived