Tunisian Stitch

Free2bme

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi there,

The tunisian stitch is supposed to curl...it is just the nature of the stitch. It will correct itself when you add a border, but it can drive you crazy until you get to that point.

In a Yahoo group that I belong to regarding tunisian crochet, a poster tells that she does the reverse afghan stitch for the first 4 or 5 rows of an afghan and the reverse for the last 4 or 5 rows and the fabric will not curl. If you also do the reverse stitch on the first 4 or 5 stitches on each side, it will make it even straighter.

I plan to use this method the next time I make an afghan that way...which I would like to do...just have too many WIPs to do right now! :yes

Hope that helps you somewhat.

I'm also starting the Tunesian and found yesterday from my searching that someone said they do a row of perl and then switches to the regular Tstitch and that stops the curling. I was going to try it myself today. ;) Good luck!

http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/tunisian.htm (this has really good tutorial pics too!)

How do you do the purl stitch in Tunisian? Is it the same thing as the reverse tunsian stitch? (We learned that in Kim's on-line class a few weeks ago).

Joan

The purl stitch in Tunisian is a bit awkward and I try to teach it as a secondary class rather than beginner. But, I'll bet you'll find a video for it at Amie's site:

http://www.nexstitch.com

My experience has been that the Reverse Afghan Stitch works even better to combat the curl than the Tunisian Purl.

:hook

That is excellent!!!! I have been WONDERING about how to do the purl stitch forever!!! NOW I just have to get the right yarn to make a beautiful afghan stitch stained glass quilt that I found in a Herrschners book!!!

Archived