Poncho for TWEENS??? need advice

tazluvr

Question

I have seen some great poncho patterns, however...I have two neices who are 8 and 9....if that is even a tween, I have no idea...anyway! How do I make the patterns smaller to fit them?

Or does someone have a pattern that would be good for that age. They both wear 10-12 size clothes. And I live far away from them, so I can't just measure them and try to go by that.

Thanks for any advice....I am very new at crocheting!

Nicci

6 answers to this question

Hi! My daughter is 10 and I'm having the same problem. I just learned to crochet and am not sure how to downsize things either. All the poncho patterns I come across are for babies or adults.

I'm going to try making her one of the ones that's just a large rectangle and sewn across the top I figure that way I can just add more rows or take some out if need be. Poncho

Also I made a poncho for my 4 year old that was just granny squares sewn together, Granny Square Poncho. My 10 year old put it on and if I'd made the squares juat a little bigger it would have fit her perfectly (She's more a 12/14).

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'll keep checking back here for more ideas too.

aww....darn!! I thought you were making me a poncho!! I got all excited and everything!! :yes

Actually, I have some experience in this dept!! I've made a few poncho's now, for my 13 yr old cousin, and my 8 yr old cousin, and what I did, was I found the pattern I wanted to use, than I used either sport weight and a smaller hook, and cut down the # of stitches, all 3 times, it worked great!!

the LB site has directions for a Fun Fur-Trimmed Poncho that comes in 3 sizes: toddler, tween and adult... I can't figure out how to link to the pattern, but it looks pretty cute, it's the very simple two rectangle pattern, and the middle size says it should fit 8-14 yrs.

Archived