Wedding Afghan

Piper0110

Question

Two of my dearest friends are getting married this July and I am thinking about making them an afghan for a wedding gift (or if I get lazy and don't get it done, a Christmas gift :) )

Right now, I'm just searching for pattern ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Free patterns or books. Since I have no clue where they'll live, I'll likely end up doing something in white or cream. He's military, though, so I might go red/white/blue, or our school colors are blue/white or just green, depending on who you ask.

So really, I've made no decisions except "I want to make a blanket!" Any thoughts are welcome.

7 answers to this question

I have an Aran afghan that was given to me as a wedding gift. It was from my husband's aunt, and for our fifth wedding anniversary she gave us the same afghan in a dark blue color. They are nice and warm and we cherish them!!

My grandmother also gave us a blue and silver afghan when we married...since we are an Air Force Family. And a neighbor knitted an Air Force blanket for us.

I am sure no matter what it looks like, what colors they are, it will be cherished for years to come!! The Aran afghan is STILL on my couch, and has been since my wedding night!!

Donna

That looks perfect, thanks! I think I will do my best to attempt it. One question though - it calls for Red Heart Chunky? Is that a specific yarn? I've not seen it in the stores before. Can anyone suggest a good yarn to use for the project? Acrylic is fine - holds up well and stays in my tiny grad student budget. Thanks!

I make wedding afghans all the time. I use Red Heart Super saver. I like to make them in a soft white. It is had to explain, but I will try. I graph the bride and groom's first names and New last Initial. I crochet these names into the afghan. I use a popcorn stitch to make the letters. Everyone thinks that I add the name when I finish the afghan, but I crochet it as I go. It really turns out beautiful. I hope this gives you an idea.

Archived