Ready to QUIT!!!!!! H-E-L-P me please?!

Lollie2639

Question

Round Ripple

My neighbor who is in her 70's gave me a small round ripple that I am using to cover my coffee table. Like a huge placemat. Well I wanted to make another one in FALL colors :jack ....so off to Hobby Lobby I went. Bought Caron's Essentials 3 skeins in 3 beautiful fall colors.

Tried to go by the first pattern I had and got totally STUCK. Then off to computer. Printed a DIFFERENT pattern and I just did 4 rows...the instructions were worded differently and I was following round by round.....

Well I just finished round 4 and the darn things looks like a big wadded up r-u-f-f-l-e!! I am ready to throw it in the trash! :eek

I've made potholders, tons of afghans, towel toppers, totes in the round, hats, etc....but I cannot seem to do a round ripple for Pete's sake. It will be a miracle if I do. Can anyone help????

I thought if I got it down pat then I would make some in red, white, and green for Christmas...but I can't even make a single one this weekend. And sadly, I have to go back to work Monday and I will be miserable knowing I failed at my crochet on such a beautiful weekend. THis is really bothering me!!!

I could try my neighbor who made it. I dont think she follows a pattern though. She is a walking crochet hook but does not feel well most days and I hate to call her.

Have mercy......:thair

Here are the one's I have been trying to go by:

http://www.sewonfire.com/round_ripple_afghan.htm

http://project-angel-kisses.150m.com/roundripple.html

Laurie:(

9 answers to this question

Ok - First breathe - Where in the pattern do you see the problem beginning? I've made the project-angel-kisses pattern several times - I've heard some other members have had problems with both of these patterns and made some adjustments to get it to lay flat - Perhaps if you space your increase rows further apart.

:cheer I have tried both and they are both fine so it may be something you are doing that makes it not sit flat.

I prefer the Sew on fire one because it does 2 rounds with increases and 1 round without. (2 with Large Shell, 1 with Small Shell)

Can you tell us exactly what you have done so far?

Because I have crocheted a LOOOOOOONG time, I change things to suit myself and I did create a new centre for one that I made. It is OK to do this as long as the number of stitches stay the same.

Now, back to yours.

Are you using the right size hook for the yarn?

You may be using a hook which is far too big. This will make it buckle.

You ALWAYS need to use the right sized hook for your yarn.

PM me if you would like to discuss this further.

Here is a pic of one I completed earlier.

th_RoundRipplestar.jpgth_TradeMe232.jpg

I am not sure which pattern I used for these.

They are done in 8ply Acrylic on an 4mm hook.

3 rounds of each colour which made it easier to remember when to do the row with the small shell.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

The sewonfire pattern does have a mistake in it on round 3.

It should be:

Ch 3, *sk one st, (dc, ch 2, dc) in next st, repeat from * end with dc in base of ch 3, ch 2, join to top of ch 3. (The * was in the wrong place in the pattern and if you follow it that way, you'll be setting up 24 points instead of 12)

Doing it the way it says in the pattern will make it very very ruffly, which is how I discovered the problem.;) In the link Dextersmom posted this information is there as well as how I did round 3 differently to eliminate the holes. There's also a stitch count per round, color coded to tell which ones are the small shell rounds. I hope some of it will help you. Don't give up. Once you get going you won't even need the pattern. :hook

:cheerChrome Kitty is so right, just the * in the wrong place.

I guess I did not notice because I anticipated what I needed to do.

Such a small thing can make such a BIG difference.

Chrome Kitty to the rescue yet again.

Just as well you have good eyesight and really LOOK at what patterns say.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Figured out what I was doing wrong in round 4. I don't think the pattern is written very clearly, or maybe I'm just not good at reading patterns. Here's how i reworded it to make more sense to me:

Sl st into ch 2 space, ch 3 (counts as 1dc), 1dc, ch 2, 2dc in same ch 2 space, * 2dc in next ch 2 space, ch 2, 2 dc in same ch 2 space, repeat from * around. join

Hope that helps

Thanks ya'll. I finally figured it out and I like the Sew On Fire one. I did a table doily with WW yarn. So glad I finally figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived