Any Charities Out There for Baby Wearables?

KnicKnac

Just wondering. I have some baby things that I have crocheted using leftover yarn and don't have anyone around me to give them to. I would like to donate them to a worthy cause.

Who or where could I send them to? Any ideas?

I am not one to keep things "just in case" - I am the type of crocheter that likes to match the item to the particular person in question. So I can't just keep it around for someone to show up pregnant!

I know someone who could use some baby things.....she is a single mom and her baby is 6 months old. She doesn't have any money and is working two jobs to try and support herself and her baby. I've made a few things for her when the baby was born, but the baby outgrew everything I made. What sizes are your items? If you don't want to donate the items to this young lady, you could offer them to places like "warming familes" or to a local shelter for women.

Thank you Daisy, the stuff I have right now is newborn. But I have lots of leftover baby yarn, I wouldn't mind making something for her. Does she have a boy or a girl?

She has a chubby little girl. Thank you so much for offering! You don't have to feel obligated in any way......only if you have the extra time and yarn. That is just too sweet of you! what an angel you are! This lady is 24 years old and lives at home with her mom and dad. The family is on the poor side to say it mildly and delicately. She is trying so hard to keep up with the baby as they grow so fast. She happens to be my daughter's boyfriend's sister......Even though I don't see baby often, my daughter does....she babysits when she can.....so the mom can get to work. Hugs for you! :hug :hug :hug :hug

Oh, if you have newborn sizes, some hospitals will take them for the needy moms. There are groups out there, like; "Newborns In Need", Carewear and more, only they slip my mind at the moment.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! A chubby little girl eh? Does she need maybe 9 - 12 months then?

I saw the Newborns in Need - I wrote to them asking if they would accept something crocheted.

Bonnie - thanks for the suggestion of your niece. Let me see what I can do.

Nan-Nan - I hate to even admit this, but how do I go about finding the homeless shelter around where I live?

There are a lot of places that accept infant items. You could start with local hospitals and women's shelters. Or try these, I have more links..if you need them.

www.carewear.org

http://www.afghansforafghans.org/

http://www.binkypatrol.org/

http://www.projectlinus.org/index.shtml

http://www.threadsoflove.org/

http://www.shelternet.ca/splashPage.htm

Here is a Canadian link to finding a womens/children shelter, you can search by community & if I remember correctly it lists address & phone numbers to, really its mean tto help women "get out" but its a handy resourse for anyone looking to help.

KnicKnac, I noticed that you are not in Canada, but maybe this will help someone else,

Fran

edited part: I just relized that someone else (at least a year ago) said that thier co-worker was collecting "baby stuff' for a charity, I remember thinking at the thime that it sounded a lot like one I try to help (but I have no idea what the official name is) - they send baby sweaters & cloth diapers & receiving blankets & diaper pins (bundled up together) to third-world countries (I believe) or wherever they are needed. My dad, knows "this lady" (I can picture her house) whose church collects stuff & then it gets send to Calgary and then it goes whever - yep, that's about all I know about it, that & that they were VERY grateful to get the cloth diapers I no longer had a use for ... and they keep asking about hand-made sweater, but really, I'm not very good at clothing items :::sigh::: sorry I just though of it & wondered if anyone else knew what I was talking about?

My favorite thing to do is call a local hospital and ask for someone who oversees donations/charitable efforts. I did that while in Albany and found out that they didn't need any preemie stuff--everyone always sent in preemie goods, and they were overloaded with it! They needed full term baby hats the most because lots of new parents forget to bring something to cover the tot's head, it turns out! So if there is a hospital you like, or that you know could use a helping hand, consider giving them a call. ^_^

I just thought of another one from this board (but am too lazy to search for the link) someone was collecting stuff to go to orphanages in China, because they were adopting from there, I think they were looking for infant/toddler sweaters.... just in case you run out of ideas!

Fran

When I was in the hospital before my son was born, my roommate had her baby slightly prematurely, and the father decided to take a hike 'since the baby was early it wasn't his'. In their culture you didn't buy anything for the baby before it was born, that invited misfortune; the father and Godmother arranged to get it after the child's birth. Needless to say, she didn't have a stitch of clothing for him. Luckily, we were in a Catholic hospital, and they had layettes set aside for families who didn't have anything for their babies to go home in. The stuff was handmade, absolutely beautiful. You could check with your hospital, or social services department to see if they do something for newborns in need.

Archived