Mailing things question

Vickietoria

Hi everyone! I know you all love to do charities, and this is not a charity, I just had a question that relates to charities. All the ones I do, require me to mail items, since I haven't found one in my area just to take the items to. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the cheapest way to mail packages, or any tips on mailing them so they'll get where they're going safely? Like, I have these manilla type envelopes (9"X12" size), and I wondered if I put something in them to mail, if it would arrive there safely, or if it might tear the envelope? I know the postal service is sometimes rough with packages, but these envelopes are very light, and might make things cheaper? I put the items in a ziplock bag inside the envelope too, with the address of where I'm sending it to inside the bag in case something happens to the envelope. Do you think that's enough? :think This is my main concern with crochetting for charity... Sometimes it seems you spend as much on mailing it out than you do on actually making the items. Maybe we could all brainstorm what works for us, so that we can mail things more efficiently? I sure appreciate everyone's help on this! :)

Thanks!

Victoria

If you have to mail larger, heavier items, I highly recommend the flat rate boxes. You can mail ANY weight to any US or APO/FPO box for ONLY $8.10! I mean you could put a million feathers inside, or soup cans..doesn't matter. They come in two sizes and you can order them on the USPS website for no charge, they will even deliver them. BUT you have to order a box of 25..well worth it! I haven't tried the plain envelopes. If I use envelopes, I use the padded ones and things arrive safely :)

Donna

For small-ish items I sometimes use a thin, but sturdy box and then, put that in a padded envelope. I often use the plastic, padded envelopes, in addition to putting the items in ziplock bags which then go into the boxes inside the padded envelopes.

Even tho' I have a PO Box, my mail is often torn and wet. Perhaps the postal box sorter just tries to twist things to get them into the PO boxes, or else it happens en route. The unloading of the trucks into the building happens out of doors, rain or shine.

Waterproof, crushproof, and tear-proof are very important. Otherwise the items can be ruined.

For larger items, I send the boxes FedEx Ground as that costs less than UPS or USPS.

Might be something you'd find helpful in this thread:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30399&highlight=shipping

Bugaboosmommy, thanks for the advice, I've just ordered some. You can spend a lot of money on boxes at Wal-Mart, and this is free! :) Thank you!

Gran, I tried the link on your post, and for some reason, it said I didn't have the authority to look at that website. Any ideas to why? Thanks!

Manilla envelopes or padded envelopes often arrive at destination torn. I usually put a strip of packing tape over each end - that seems to help.

Vickietoria - in case Gran doesn't get right back to you - I think you have to have 40 posts to access some areas of Crochetville - that could be one of them.

Happy Crocheting!

Just tried the link I'd posted and I got in fine. Who knows what it was? I get that same message screen sometimes, too, as different times, different sites, etc.

Here it is anew:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30399&highlight=shipping

Just realized this is in THE WISHING WELL section of C'ville. Lucky's right.

Another question... Those boxes you talked about? How much to send them overseas? Will it cost by the weight when you go overseas? Just wondering if you'd used those for that or not. I was reading the Africa charity post, and thought about sending some of my baby blankets to one there.

What is the wishing well? I'm sorry I'm so new... Thank you!

Victoria

I suggest you try sending a few items different ways and see what the cost is. The flat rate boxes sometimes cost you more to mail than mailing it regular priority, depending on what you're putting in it. As the other person says, you can mail feathers or soup cans. Obviously feather would weight next to nothing, so you're way overspending to use a flat rate. But if you're sending a full size afghan, you may be saving. Just depends.

I have paid anywhere from $5 to $12 sending afghans priority. The flat rate boxes are smaller than the #7 priority box. All priority boxes can be purchase free (including shipping) at usps.com . Of course, you can also use regular boxes if you happen to have them on hand. You can get free "priority" stickers if you need them. You can also order delivery confirmation forms and custom forms if you want to mail out of country. Be careful on how much you claim an item is worth, as other countries sometimes charge a fee to the person receiving depending on worth listed. I usually put "gift" and "$1" for several squares.

This is an issue I have struggled with for a long time, so nice to see it addressed. I don't know that there is any definitive answer since each item made is different.

For squares, I have used the plain manila envelope, the Tyvek priority, and the bubble envelopes. I've never had anyone tell me it was damaged in the mail, but it is possible they just didn't inform me. I do usually add a strip of package sealing tape to the envelope, particularly the manila. You can also fold it over for extra strength if your item is smaller than the envelope.

If you have a scale, you can weigh, then check usps.com and see what it would cost to send it different ways. If you do a lot of charity work, it might pay to invest in a postal scale. I would get the one that goes to 10# as I have the smaller one and sometimes my packages weigh more than 5#.

You don't have to send priority of course. I sent all packages priority because after Katrina, that was the only thing available for a long time. Regular envelopes are sent first class. usps.com has a listing on the limits of what can be sent how.

For overseas, check the usps.com as there is global mail, several different types, which have different rates.

Hope that helps.

For squares I use padded envelopes. But for toys and wearables, I find a sturdy carboard box and ship things that way. I just make sure and securely tape (with shipping tape) all the seams. So far I haven't had a problem. And as I'm not shipping large (on the order of afghan-sized) things, my U.S. shipping regularly comes to less than the flat-rate box shipping. Another $0.02 for you, Vickietoria. :)

Archived