Wasn't quite sure where to put this question...

Guest Lovebill

Guest Lovebill

I need some felt help. But not felting in the traditional crochet lingo...

I'm working on a huge American flag afghan (about 6 feet by 4.5 feet) for my hubby, and after 3 rows of putting the stars in I decided that I don't like how they're turning out. The stitches aren't meshing well with the rest of my work, this is the first time I've attempted to insert shapes inside of work.:shrug

So now my plan is to just forget about crocheting the stars in, and instead finish the big blue square because I don't want to frog all the work I've done to take the partially finished first row of stars out.

I want to buy some felt, use a stencil and individually cut out 100 stars (I will put them on the front and back) and sew them on after the crocheting is done.

So, I think "Great idea! Let's order some felt online so it will be here by the time I'm ready to use it!" I've checked prices and it looks like it goes for about $50. :<> Yeesh! I don't want to spend that much just for felt! "Duh, Rachel...it's made out of wool!"

Now then, my questions are :

* Does anybody know where you can buy felt (I want 2 yards) discounted? Or does anybody happen to have any white felt they're willing to part with for a small amount of money?:thinking1

* Are there any other fabrics similar to felt that would be less expensive? I just feel that felt would look the best with crochet...if there is an alternative, I would like it to be thick and soft.

* Any other general tips or suggestions for my situation?

Moderaters - feel free to move this topic to where ever you see fit. It IS crochet related, but also felt and off-topic related as well.

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifIs the afghan made of wool? If you use wool felt, it will continue to full when you wash it.....

Crocheting stars is a good idea. :D

Guest Lovebill

RE: Crocheting the stars and adding them

I didn't even think of that! What a great idea ladies, thank you! :hug2

I think I'll do as mommachickie suggested and border the stars with blue.

Archived