Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along from knit.1 mag

This was my question emailed to Halcyon:

How does your 5/2 Pearl Cotton compare to DMC and Anchor brands' Perle Cotton? Your descriptions sound like your product is suitable for crocheting, but I wanted to make sure that it is actually durable and can be washed, unlike those intended for embroidering.

Thank you for your assistance.

Here is the answer I got from Halcyon:

Thank you for thinking of Halcyon Yarn. The 5/2 Pearl cotton we have is very strong and can be washed. The 5/2 is similar in weight to the DMC Brilliant crochet cotton. It is like the 5 Pearle cotton from Anchor I think. Hope this helps you.

So, it sounds like it's durable enough for the butterfly shawl...

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh! and I should also mention that, when you are deciding which yarn/thread to use, and making your swatches, try using different size hooks.

For instance, I am using just 3 strands of the handspun silk and a 'G' hook for my butterfly body, and a 2.5 mm steel hook for the mesh, with a single strand of thread/yarn.

hugs and blessings

Noreen

http://www.crone-findlay.com

http://www.sacreddollsandbears.com

http://www.hankeringforyarn.com

Noreen, I just wanted to tell you that while I've only made the one square just to see how the pattern would work for me (I jused sock yarn and one strand throughout, but just to see how the pattern would work) I really, really, really like your pattern...very different, very old world, but very high end and modern at the same time. Extremely impressed and can't wait to get started on this project for real...but I'm up to my eyeballs with other projects at the moment that I'm trying in vain to finish up so I can get to this project...

Thank you for being in this thread to give us a helping hand too. Kudos!

Thank you so much, Eurolyons!:D

I am so pleased that you are happy with the pattern!

I had to grin, as a lady on another list said that she was just amazed at how the butterfly took shape when you followed the pattern:lol

That's because I worked reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hard to

MAKE it work :lol

chortle chortle!

And, now I am hard at work on designs for the 2007 season! Grinning from ear to ear! And, having so much positive feedback has really helped me with some of the design decisions I am making about new projects!

:manyheart So, talking directly with my crochet fellow travellers is just wonderful for me! It means that I get a sense of what people would like to work on!

big hugs:yay

Noreen

Noreen, I just wanted to tell you that while I've only made the one square just to see how the pattern would work for me (I jused sock yarn and one strand throughout, but just to see how the pattern would work) I really, really, really like your pattern...very different, very old world, but very high end and modern at the same time. Extremely impressed and can't wait to get started on this project for real...but I'm up to my eyeballs with other projects at the moment that I'm trying in vain to finish up so I can get to this project...

Thank you for being in this thread to give us a helping hand too. Kudos!

Noreen, I just wanted to give you credit for the compliments I get on this butterfly pattern as I work on it at work... I do a little work, too, but you know... I get the question, "What are you knitting?" (doesn't bother me that they don't know the difference - I love an opportunity to share the joy of our craft) - and when I lay the butterfly out flat, or pull a finished one from my bag, they just can't believe it! They say, "Oh, that looks SO HARD!! How can you do that??" And I just smile and say, "It helps to have a very well-designed pattern!" And I show the knit.1 book and offer to teach anyone the basics and tell them how to get the book!:manyheart

Ah, Paulette! You just made my day! thank you sooooooooooo much!

big big hugs

Noreen!

:c9

Noreen, I just wanted to give you credit for the compliments I get on this butterfly pattern as I work on it at work... I do a little work, too, but you know... I get the question, "What are you knitting?" (doesn't bother me that they don't know the difference - I love an opportunity to share the joy of our craft) - and when I lay the butterfly out flat, or pull a finished one from my bag, they just can't believe it! They say, "Oh, that looks SO HARD!! How can you do that??" And I just smile and say, "It helps to have a very well-designed pattern!" And I show the knit.1 book and offer to teach anyone the basics and tell them how to get the book!:manyheart

:lol

well, sakurasaku,

I guess it's time to get the butterfly gang to drop in and see what everyone's

hooks have been butterflying at!;)

That didn't make sense, but what the heck, you know what I mean! :think

:manyheart

blessings

Noreen

www.crone-findlay.com

www.sacreddollsandbears.com

www.hankeringforyarn.com

So glad to have you with us, a Creative One! I haven't even bought the thread yet, so it's good to have someone starting. :D I think Paulette is, like, done with 4 shawls already (I'm exaggerating, naturally).

Hi, i have to admit i havent read all 21 pages of this thread, but i just saw the shawl and i love it. How do i get the pattern if im in England and the magazine isnt available? Is it available to buy online?

Thank you so much, AuntDebbie! I hope you will enjoy making the shawl!

I am loving being part of the crochet along, although I have gotten sideswiped by deadlines for new projects for upcoming magazines and books.

LOL!

I design winter in summer and summer in winter!

hugs and blessings

Noreen

I have the magazine just need the yarn. I will be going out to walmart this week! I will look for yarn!! Noreen so happy to have you here with us!!

Blessings, Debra

http://myvintagehome.blog-city.com

I'm in! found the mag, have the thread (I think). Noreen, is the Lion cotton a #10? - I've got a beautiful gold acrylic #10 I'd like to try in its place, if you think it would work. I like it much better than cotton thread.

Hi Pplcrochets

Yay! gold will be gorgeous! and yes, the Lion crochet cotton is #10.

In my blog, there is an entry on checking to see if your thread or yarn will match up. It's a weaver/spinner's trick called WPI (wraps per inch).

If you go to www.hankeringforyarn.com

and scroll along to that entry, all will be revealed :yes

blessings

Noreen

www.crone-findlay.com

I'm in! found the mag, have the thread (I think). Noreen, is the Lion cotton a #10? - I've got a beautiful gold acrylic #10 I'd like to try in its place, if you think it would work. I like it much better than cotton thread.

Noreen, I believe we have met.. through maybe a weaving group or a drop spindling group? I have your book Creative Crochet Dolls which I love- but sadly have yet to crochet a doll..maybe another summer project :-)

I didn't realize that lion brand cotton is #10 I have plenty of that!!!yay!!

Blessings, Debra

http://myvintagehome.blog-city.com

Norene, thank you so much for your gracious reply; you *could* have gently asked me to read the rest of the posts (which I just finished doing :oops, that'll teach me to post without reading the whole thread!), since my question had been asked only about a gazillion times already! :eek

I haven't checked this thread's wpi, but I'll do that, and work up a swatch to see how it goes.

found and noted the errata page, thank you! and thank you for making it possible to order the magazine online - I know many folks will need that once the summer issue is replaced on newstands by the next one. CAL's tend to have long lives.....

The shawl looks fab, but I don't know if I can get the magazine in U.K

Would love to join in & it would be my first CAL - i will try & get mag

Fingers Crossed

Oh, no problem, Patricia! :lol

I teach a lot of workshops, and I figure that people come in when they come in and it doesn't take much to bring people up to speed, so why fuss?

LOL!

And, yep. I am FANATICAL about making swatches!:hook

Swatches are our friends! and so is the WPI....

I always figure, the more info I can gather, the happier a camper I will be!

:yay

hugs

Noreen

Norene, thank you so much for your gracious reply; you *could* have gently asked me to read the rest of the posts (which I just finished doing :oops, that'll teach me to post without reading the whole thread!), since my question had been asked only about a gazillion times already! :eek

I haven't checked this thread's wpi, but I'll do that, and work up a swatch to see how it goes.

found and noted the errata page, thank you! and thank you for making it possible to order the magazine online - I know many folks will need that once the summer issue is replaced on newstands by the next one. CAL's tend to have long lives.....

The shawl looks fab, but I don't know if I can get the magazine in U.K

Would love to join in & it would be my first CAL - i will try & get mag

Fingers Crossed

I sent this link to someone else in the UK. It's 4.25 BP including shipping and handling. Not too bad.

Patricia, I think it's perfectly fine for someone to not want to wade through 20-odd pages of all the posts if one is joining a CAL in the middle (to confess, I post without reading the whole thread all the time. :blush Think about having to read 500+ posts in the Fug thread before posting!). Noreen has been wonderful to us, patiently guiding us through our questions and foibles...:)

You made my day, Sakurasaku! thank you so much! :hug

It's my pleasure to be part of the CAL on the shawl, although, right now, I am busting my chops to meet deadline on new projects for the winter issue of a magazine..... eek!

:) blessings

Noreen

www.crone-findlay.com

www.sacreddollsandbears.com

www.hankeringforyarn.com

I sent this link to someone else in the UK. It's 4.25 BP including shipping and handling. Not too bad.

Patricia, I think it's perfectly fine for someone to not want to wade through 20-odd pages of all the posts if one is joining a CAL in the middle (to confess, I post without reading the whole thread all the time. :blush Think about having to read 500+ posts in the Fug thread before posting!). Noreen has been wonderful to us, patiently guiding us through our questions and foibles...:)

Archived