Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along from knit.1 mag

Oh, and PS: - having read the pattern, would it be feasible, instead of holding 4 strands of yarn for the butterflies, to use a thicker thread for those instead? Would 4 strands of crochet cotton, #10, be about equal to a 4-ply or an 8-ply cotton?

Unashamedly picking your collective brains here, but why not!

Maureen, watching on in interest, in Brisbane

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shelle, Shelle, Shelle, are you cracking yourself up again? Are you snorting coffee out your nose onto the keyboard? We've talked about this!

So if you're Baroque does that mean you're out of Monet???

*insert rimshot* bada bing!

:rofl You ladies are just tooo funny:rofl Paulette, I love your butterflies!!! I am now in the process of trying to find thread. Any suggestions???? I am at a loss, I dont usually work in thread so when I do I use the usual. But I want to make this in really nice thread. I cant wait to get started on this!

Hi Kelly,

I agree, this shawl is too beautiful to use everyday stuff. Here's a couple of websites that might help you decide on what to use.

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/thread.html

(tangleweeds sometimes gets hard to access.. keep trying)

http://www.hhtatting.com/category_results.cfm?Category=5

HandyHands is more geared to the tatting crowd, but they do rate the threads and sell size 10 thread.

Once you decide, a good place to buy thread (at least I've had good experience with her) is http://www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com she has Opera thread which I think someone else here is considering using. (she also sells on ebay some, but mainly the discontinued things from her shop)

I've never used Opera, but I have used Cebelia for some bridal purses.. and I'll tell you it's really hard to go back to the lesser quality stuff after using Cebelia. Not only is the finished product so much less in quality.. but the "other" thread is so much rougher on your hands.

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/crochet-thread-dmc.html

Has the cebelia and flat rate shipping.

I plan to use Baroque.. Kind of a Middle of the road thread.. because I already have alot of it.. if I can find it (does that make sense.. :yes )

Hope this helps you some in your choices.

Well, if it's baroque, maybe you should fa-ix it before you use it. :rofl

Shelle, Shelle, Shelle, are you cracking yourself up again? Are you snorting coffee out your nose onto the keyboard? We've talked about this!

So if you're Baroque does that mean you're out of Monet???

Very Punny!!!!

Steel Magnolias... Shelby's colors were Blush & Bashful. :rofl

Sally Field: The church looks like it's been hosed down in pepto-bismal.

ooooh, I love that movie!! except the cemetery scene where Sally Field loses it. I bawl like a baby.

The town where SM is/was set in (and filmed in) is only about 3 hours drive from me. We've visited there a few times. I love the town, but can't pronounce it. Natchitoches, LA

Very Punny!!!!

The town where SM is/was set in (and filmed in) is only about 3 hours drive from me. We've visited there a few times. I love the town, but can't pronounce it. Natchitoches, LA

Sounds like Massachusettes with a bad head-cold. :sneeze

About using a thicker yarn for the butterfly and thinner yarn for the mesh:

You betcha!

It makes frogging a lot simpler, too!

Shelle, you were right. I should have left the half-butterfly alone. Did you ever try to frog something made of 4 strands of thread together? You know how they twist amongst themselves?

It really wasn't worth it, but I wanted the thread...:blush Now I have 4 tiny badly-wound balls of thread.

I hope I don't have to frog the three-strand version!

From the Lion Brand site:

Lion Crochet Cotton:

Weight Category: 1 - Super fine: Sock, Fingering, Baby Yarn.

Guage:

Crochet: 28sc + 36 rows = 4" (10cm) on D-3 (3.5mm) hook.

Maybe having the weight category will help make choices. I am contemplating having this in my bag when I go to the hospital as I will have a lot of time to myself as the kids will be with their grandparents and my dh will be at work most of the time and that will give me about 2 days to myself before I come home and will still be pretty much confined to bed for about a week.

Decisions, Decisions about fibers and colors - dang - too many choices.

support@lionbrand.com

to me Jul 7

Hi,

It's size 10 bedspread weight.

With Warm Regards,

Customer Support

Lion Brand Yarn Company

http://www.lionbrand.com

support@lionbrandyarn.com

---------------------------------

You wrote on 2006-07-06 20:35:20:

---------------------------------

What weight is Lion Crochet Cotton: Article 770? How does it compare to size 10 crochet thread? Thank you.

I must say that I am a bit confused on yarn for this project once again. I remember reading this at the LB site:

From the Lion Brand site:

Lion Crochet Cotton:

Weight Category: 1 - Super fine: Sock, Fingering, Baby Yarn.

Guage:

Crochet: 28sc + 36 rows = 4" (10cm) on D-3 (3.5mm) hook.

Yet LB wrote Lisa back that it is #10 bedspread weight thread. :think

Then I read this entry on Noreen's blog and it doesn't look like #10 thread comes anywhere near close to the same size as LB Crochet Cotton. I even tried wrapping #3 cotton thread and it was too small too.

I have some lovely cotton yarn I bought to make a prayer shawl for my dh. It's called Cotton Fleece. Even though it states the category weight as 3 (sport weight) I wrapped it on a ruler and it was 17 wraps per inch. (The Lion Brand Crochet Cotton is 15 wraps per inch.) This yarn is a lot thicker than #10 thread yet it comes closer to the LB Crochet Cotton. I can't work up a swatch because I don't have the right hook. :(

Does any of this make sense? Any thoughts?

Ok...I think I read the blog wrong. :blush

Someone please tell me if I have it right now...

I think the #10 thread is the Lion Crochet Cotton and the Lion Cotton is regular kitchen cotton?

Sorry....I'm just trying to figure this out. I don't know why this doesn't make sense to me.

I still want to know if Superfine and #10 thread are considered to be the same.

I'm feeling stressed because I already ordered my thread and I want to make sure I got the right thing because the Opera thread is gonna cost me even if it is on sale!

I still have only a half a bfly! :blush I just discovered that my camera battery charger is missing so I don't know when I'll be able to get a pic up. :no I don't know what I'm gonna do...I can't find a replacement one. :( I've been losing a lot of things lately....some have turned up. I hope the charger turns up soon!

Shelle & Paulette....Your butterfly's came out so good!

Shelle: I just love the purple thread you found Shelle! What a steal!

sakurasaku: I have a half finished bfly too. I'm having trouble with hooking extra thread here and there. At one point it is very obvious in my bfly. I guess we are just going to have to practice till we get it. I think yours looks really good! I love the color!

Noreen: Thanks so much for your help on substituting yarn. I'm sure I'll get it sooner or later! :yes

Gina, it sounds like you have figured things out on your own and are well on you way. :cheer I think Opera will come out beautifully. I remember looking for that thread because I want to make that French Bistro top from the last issue of Interweave Crochet. It's supposed to be a very nice thread.

I decided to go down in the number of strands to make things a bit cleaner and easier. I probably could have stuck with 4 strands (and considering how hard it is to frog it, maybe I should have), but I'll try 3 and maybe even down to 2 like Paulette did. I'll work on it tonight.

Hey Paulette...I live in Heidelberg, Germany as my husband is a private contractor with the military (U.S.) here. Our home in the states is in Washington State on Vashon Island. The PX is the Post Exchange, which is really kind of like a mini mall or department store so to speak. The Mega Book Mark is the book store within the PX and although it carries like 30 quilting magazines, it carries far less and sometimes none of the crochet and knit mags...

If you wanna do some kind of swap...a magazine for a german magazine or yarn or whatever...I'm game!

Your magazine left the Redondo Beach, California, post office today (Friday, July 14) around noon so start thinking about thread! Let us know when it arrives and also if you need help getting some thread or hooks!

There's so much information posted now about the different thread weights and pretty colors people are using (I think everyone is very envious of Shelle's pretty lavendar!) and it's so wonderful having Noreen to 'nudge' us along!:manyheart

For someone who is absolutely NOT beginning this project straightaway, within the last two days I have bought the magazine and chosen my thread - I'm going to do it in Madame Tricote Maxi, in hot pink:

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/prod1031.htm

I think it will look stunning.

I'm vertically challenged, though, so my shawl will be shorter. Won't look very glamorous if it's trailing behind me on the floor!

Too much to do, too little time - isn't it great?

Maureen

Wailie WAILIE WAILIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, my word! I am just appalled! I can't believe how many typos I entered when I transcribed my written

notes (for the triangle butterfly) to typed! It's humiliating! The triangle is a complete bolox. I will check the errata at the website and see if it

matches my hand written instructions. They work perfectly, but I can't understand how I screwed up the inputting so badly.

sheesh. Makes me want to run and hide! eep.

Will deal with that ASAP!!!!!!!! As I was working on it today, I thought-

Good heavens! WHERE did I put my brain when I did this? I am OBSESSIVE about checking and re-checking and re-checking instructions, and I remember going over and over and over them, so how the heck I managed to allow all the typos to go through is beyond me.

I feel like a total prat.

oh well.

hugs all around, all the same.......

Noreen

oh, my word! I am just appalled! I can't believe how many typos I entered when I transcribed my written

notes (for the triangle butterfly) to typed! It's humiliating! The triangle is a complete bolox. I will check the errata at the website and see if it

matches my hand written instructions. They work perfectly, but I can't understand how I screwed up the inputting so badly.

Good heavens! WHERE did I put my brain when I did this? I am OBSESSIVE about checking and re-checking and re-checking instructions, and I remember going over and over and over them, so how the heck I managed to allow all the typos to go through is beyond me.

oh well.

hugs all around, all the same.......

Noreen

Noreen, should we be watching for another fix on the smaller butterfly aside from the one that's already been put up? No hurry:lol I have 20 more big ones to go... I only finished the one that I took the picture of! Just for future reference...

Thank Goodness you're here with us!!!!!

Yeppers, I am working feverishly on the fix now and sending a heartfelt apology to my editor (along with the complete corrections).

I was so totally exhausted by the time I finished the shawl that I was obviously several muffins short of a panload! It was a really short deadline, so I was burning the candles at both ends and in the middle, too....

I'll see if I can get permission to print the updated correction on my blog.....

That's nice of you to admit it was your mistake. You coulda just blamed it on the publisher, and we wouldn't have known! :shrug That speaks well of you! I knew I liked you right away!! :hug

oh well.

Don't be so hard on yourself!! We 'ville members forgive you!!! But I know how you feel. I check, re-check, & re-check my written directions, too, cause I'm so afraid I'll leave out a "ch 1" or a "sk 1 dc". The only way I can be positively sure it's right is to sit down and actually make another one following my instructions as though I'm making it for the first time. You wouldn't believe how many times I've carefully proof-read a pattern and thought it was perfect - only to make another one, and inevitably find a blurb or two! It's called being human. :hook But I'll tell you what really gets my goat is when a publisher changes the way I wrote it, AND makes a blatant mistake!! Grrrr.... that's MY name on there, and I don't want people to think I don't know how to write patterns! My saddest experience was in the book "Poncho Panache" - my Tahitian Dreams pattern. They changed several things (they have a right to do so - it's in the contract I signed) and they made a boo-boo. They put dc and there's NO dc in the whole thing. It's all tr. I was so disappointed. So, there's something to be said for "Self-Publishing"! I'm going to try that for a while. My friend Carolyn Christmas self-publishes a lot of her designs, and she has so graciously offered lots of advice to me. She's a very talented designer (Gourmet Crochet). I LOVE her stuff! My best friend Paulette is making her Lisette right now - it's going to be gorgeous. Boy can I ramble or what?!:eek

Ah, Shelle.... Noreen.... I sure feel the love here!

Noreen, it must be so frustrating when the pressure is coming down and you're trying to get it into the publisher, only to find out that something's gone amiss! I think we're all gonna be making the BIG butterflies for a while,:blush so don't you worry yourself about it... we all know now to wait for the addenda and we'll just put it in our little knit.1 mags and no harm, no foul!

Shelle, thanks for your kind words on the Lisette shawl! It really is such an easy pattern - I'm almost to the beloved Pineapples! The color is great - gotta love those alpacas, been thinking about getting one of my own... just go out there and shave him when I need some yarn! or not.

I'm on vacation now AND WORKING! I'm working in my bloomers and tank top in my crochet chair, but I'm WORKING!!!! WAAHHHHHHH. I'll finish this transcript today (I went into detail about this with Shelle in an e-mail) but I have to get this blasted 300 pager done by Monday (it will be done today) and then I can get back to the important stuff... like making another butterfly... and 'shopping' through my stash for yarns that will fit the color 'bruise' which will be my second butterfly shawl! I am so excited! Does that make me weird that I think bruise colors are pretty? Yeah, I guess it does...

I feel like such a yarn dummy here. :blush One thing I did discover though, the lady at the LYS didn't know much about yarn either and she sells the yummiest of yarns! :lol

I've been learning a lot about yarn and thread for this CAL. Yesterday, I found some yarn in the thread section at Hobby Lobby that was labeled category weight 2. It looked like #3 thread size to me so I can see how super fine can be thread.

I orderd the Opera in Tea Rose from the site Lisa referred me to (thanks Lisa!). It's $2.89/ball (HL was $2.99/ball) but it was on sale 20% off. Great price! It's on backorder though. :sigh

I was thinking of changing my order and making this shawl in black. Do you think it will look ok in black? I think it might be hard to work with but I can't picture it in black. I'm thinking black because I bought 2 new outfits. One is for when my dh graduates in Dec. with his MSW. It's a very pretty med. blue. The other is a green outfit for Christmas. I thought a black shawl would work well with both of these outfits. I'm also hoping it would be the envy of all! ;)

While I'm waiting for my thread, I am practicing with some thread I have on hand. My first bfly isn't so great. Actually, it's not bad but I'm having trouble figuring out which row to attach the wings to. One wing is higher than the other. I thought I was on the right/same row as the other side but I obviously wasn't. I'm trying not to get discouraged. This is definitely a challenging piece for me. One that will be well worth it when it's done.

Oh, and Gina, I LOVE NM. I've only been there a couple of times, but they are not kidding when they call it the land of enchantment. I'm so envious.

I so :manyheart Northern NM! I've lived in Santa Fe before and it's my most favorite place to live! Right now I'm (unfortunately) in Southern NM. It's not so enchanting. :no Maybe growing up an hour away from here has something to do with it. Nah.....the enchantment is definitely up North. :D

When dh graduates we are trying to figure out where we want to live. I'm hoping to go back up North but we are actually considering TN. :ohdear

Archived