Un-Skein or Leave Skein-ed When Kool-Aid Dyeing

cmr3877

This is going to make me sound like a lazy girl :blush, but do I need to pull the yarn OUT of the skein before I put it into its dye bath, or can I leave it in its skein?

I'm just not looking forward to the huge tangled mess I'll be left with!:eek

If I MUST un-skein it, does anyone have some tips to keep it from totally tangling?:think

Depending on how tightly it's wound, I usually leave it to avoid the tangles.

If it's loosely wound and twisted into a skein, just loosen it up a bit. As long as it's properly submerged, it will absorb the colour. :)

• 1 month later...

I just finished dying some raw silk that I left skeined and I am very pleased with how it turned out, it helped to give it a bit of variation and it's just lovely :)

I'll have to take a pic and post it so you all can see.

I always un-skein when I dye. I make a big hank, wound around my hand to my elbow, then tie it in four places. I have never had a big mess after. I worry that the dye wouldn't get all the way in to the middle of the skein if I didn't un-wind the skein. Just my 2 cents!

I did one skein of Paton's wool as is, stuck down in a mason jar, it came out nicely varigated from where I poured the kool aid over the yarn. Mostly I rewind the wool before dyeing, but I think I need to tie in more places cause I manage to tangle it anyway half the time.

Archived