teach a crochet class?

We're going, DV, to vacation with other homeschooling families in May (5 days 4 nights). People offer to do activities etc as they feel they can or want to. My dh might do a science activity or two. On another of these vacations I offered to help children with crochet. At that time they just came to our trailer as and when, and I would help them.

I'm wondering about doing a class though, and then being availble throughout the week to help those who need it, and then maybe have a followup session at the end of the week (would have to be Thursday).

If I do it - if there is sufficient interest compared to the other things available - what should I do? I'm thinking of choosing a simple project, teach the two stitches needed for the project, and helping them get started. I'm thinking coaster or dishcloth but is there something else more appealing? Or let them choose?

Please give me ideas and tips if you have any!! Thanks!

Guest Yarnentangled

I bet there will be a lot of interest.

Tempt them with a display of easy to work with yarn and hooks. Potholders and dishcloths are good starter projects. A beginner is rarely good enough to make a scarf right off the bat but you might want to have some on display to show them what can be done with basic skills.

yarntangled.. what a good idea for a display..

i would think maybe a little granny square pouch...for the girls..

and if there were any boys maybe a little pouch made of two squares just maybe not grannies.. cause kids always like little things to put their things in ...

friendship bracelets...

a simple book mark...

things of that sort..

Here is my :twocents

I have always taught my beginners a hat first. They are so pleased to have something wearable. It is a simple rectangle done in the back-loops-only (ribbed look) to a size 11 x 17 inch. (Depends on the yarn you are using as to what hook and how many chains to start with.) Then you sew up the side (teaches them how to do a seam and hide the ends). That makes it a tube. Then you gather the top (that shows the gathering technique). If you like, you can add a pom-pom, but I usually just leave them gathered. If you need more details, I can post them...just gotta sit and refigure them. Grin.

I like simple rectangles to start with. They gotta learn that hard task of turning the work and keeping the count right.

Stitchinpick

There are some good ideas here, thanks! If anyone has any more thoughts, please say 'em!

I'll only have about an hour, maybe 1 1/2 on the first session. Then no more sessions until Thursday and maybe not even then. I will be available throughout most of the week, though, for them to ask me questions or get my help.

Assuming this all goes ahead, that is.

What about a potholder or dishcloth? That way they could get used to the stitches and making sure they are learning to do each row perfect. You could have it be a textured dishcloth so each row is a different stitch.

Guest Yarnentangled

Since you don't have a lot of time perhaps you could have some projects started and let them pick it up.

For example, have a several dishcloths in a variety of colors started and just let the kids get the feel for doing the stitches and turning.

The drawback, of course is that they won't learn to slipknot and chain initially but they will get the rhythm of inserting the hook, yo, pull through etc.. This is what my mom did for me when I was a kid and this method will allow them so see results faster.

Just a thought.

Archived