What does this mean

Ga_Rebel

Question

I am starting the afghan and one thing I need to ask. It says:

The throw is worked lengthwise and will measure approx. 50" across and 45" in length.

The just a little further down is says to chain 61 then do the foudation row. Question is is that chain 61 the length or the width? Here is a link to the pattern:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-watr.html

Thanks...

12 answers to this question

It's the length, i.e. the long side. The gauge is 6sts=5in, so 61 foundation chain will measure approximately 50 inches. You start on the long side and keep going until the width reaches 45 inches.

Does that make sense?

it looks like it is working accross {side to side} but the directions are very unclear....

Yeah, I just noticed that they call the 45'' side "length". Ga_Rebel, you knew what I meant, though, right?

Looking forward to a picture of your finished afghan!

I think so...Right now I am having a real hard time working with this HomeSpun. I am having a hard time seeing where to put the hook for each stitch. And I am doing the stitch as loose as I feel I can. This wil not be as easy as I thought.

When you chain your 61...it will be about the length of the throw...as you do your rows...they will determine how wide it will be. It sounds kinda strange...it's like just do it and don't ask questions...lol...it all works out fine!!!

By the way...it it a very pretty throw...what is your color?

Maggie :manyheart

The first row with Homespun is always a bear, but I find the rows after that are much easier to see. I have to feel my way through those. Just take your time getting through the foundation chain and first row, and I'll bet things ease up a bit for you, too, after that. Can't wait to see the finished product! Patty

Homespun is a great yarn, very soft, but as everyone else has said, it's a bear to work with. I will only use Homespun on knit projects (I know, I used the "K" word!) But when I am working with something that I'm having difficulty seeing the stitches clearly I have two things that usually help me.

1. If the yarn is dark I use a light colored hook, and vice versa.

2. If the yarn is dark I put a white towel in my lap, it will reflect light up and help you to see the stitches a little more clearly. And again, it works in reverse, a dark towel under a lighter colored project will make the stitches stand out a little more.

Since I got my new tri-focals I'm having to pull out every trick I can think of to see what I'm working on anymore.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little.

Archived