Creating Giant Granny Square for a Baby Blanket

crochet_in_oz

Question

I need some serious help please!!!

I really enyjoying crocheting very simple projects like a granny square that just keeps on going till it reaches the size i want - with no colour changes. Only problem is my ex-mother-in-law used to always start them. As she is now my ex in-law i was stuck. I was able to find pattens to make a granny square so I have the ring bit sorted, the bit i am stuck on is every pattern that i find changes colour after the first round and then again every round there after. How do I go from my ring to a sqaure without changing clour and increase the size of my balanket. I have kind of just wang it some how for the past to i have done but the middle doesn't look quite right as you can see from the picture of my current one.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h295/melanie_76/?action=view&current=blanket.jpg

8 answers to this question

Start with the ring. Ch 3, 2 dc, ch3, 3dc, ch 3, 3dc, ch3, 3dc, ch 3 join to first ch3. Sl st to ch3, 2dc, ch3, 3dc (forms the corner), ch1, 3dc in ch3 sp, ch3, 3dc, continue around and join in first ch3 of row. Sl st to ch3 sp of corner, ch3, 2dc, ch3, 3dc (corner), 3dc in ch1 sp, ch1, 3dc in ch3 corner sp and continue around. Follow this for each row until you have the size you want.

Instead of breaking off at the end of each row to add another color, just slip stitch to the corner chain and continue in the pattern for each row until you reach the size you want.

:think Just slip stitch to the first space then do CH 3 to start your next round.

Continue as you were when your MIL was doing the start for you.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Great minds think alike.

We must have been posting at the same time.

It took me a minute to see what you were talking about. It looks like there was a little boo-boo when you joined the second round and started the third, and that threw the rest of it off. When you end a round, you have to slip stitch to the center of the corner, then ch 3 to make the first dc of the new round and continue on from there. Here's a really good link with step by step pictures to help you out.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-granny_square.htm

:hug

In agreement...just slip stitch over to the first corner after joining every round, then just continue on with your pattern stitch. The large granny is a simple one but always turns out nice I think. I auctioned off one that was just 2 colors at a charity auction in 05 that sold for over $300 and it was probably one of the easiest ones I've ever made! Good luck to you and keep it up! :)

Remember that a way to work 'round and 'round and have the ghan turn out oblong rather than a square shape is to start with an oblong "square" in the center and then keep going.

I make preemie blankets out of a granny square.Here's how I do it.

1- chain 5 slip stitch into first to make a ring.

2- chain 2 then do 12 double stitches in ring ( I do not count chain 2 as a stitch at any time.)go over chain2 and slip stitch in top of first stitch.

3- chain 2 double stitch in same stitch.1 Double in next stitch.

In next stitch do 5 doubles ( Mark 3rd stitch) Double stitch in next 2 stitches 5 doubles in next ( don't for get to mark 3rd stitch) do this 3 times that should make 4 corners. Slip stitch to top of first stitch not the chain 2.

4-Chain 2 then double in same stitch and double in each stitch till you get to the marked 3rd stitch in last row do 5 doubles in this stitch (don't forget to mark the 3rd stitch in the 3rd sitch in every 5 doubles that you do)repeat all the way around.

You can make this as big or small as you want. I put a border of single crochets for little boys , for a frilly look I also add a row of shells

Once you have done this a few times you will not need to mark the 3rd stitch in the 5 doubles you will be able to tell where to do the next 5 doubles.

Hope this helps.

Corky

Thanks so much everyone that is great help

Chrome Kitty that website is a great help with the pics!! I have done a hundred different searches and was never able to come up with anything like that.

The next blanket i make will be much better thanks to you all.

Thank you. That is my web site. *grin*

Another way to continue your granny square rounds is to join with a single crochet, rather than a slip stitch. Then make your first shell right there in the same space, around the single crochet -- that's part of your side. then ch 1, and continue, working ch 1 between shells along the side, and ch 3 between corner shells.

Some people use a half double crochet join instead of a single though I have the single works okay for me.

Note that if you use this method for your first round, you would join with a double crochet because you have to put (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in that stitch and need more room.

I do have this method pictured but not within the tutorial. It is separate.

Archived