Are Granny Squares okay for babies?

buckynbabies

Question

I have found the perfect idea for a baby blanket for a friend of mine's baby to be. It is based on this pattern http://www.dustbunnies.com/Crochet/afghans/iqafghan.htm but with different colours.

The square that they use is a basic granny with 3dc in the ch1's from the row below, so it is fairly hole-y. Now, my kids slept with that type of crochet blanket all the time because we have so many around the house from dmil, and I think they're fine, but I'm not sure about other moms. I used to make a lot of the Country Button granny when I was doing squares for charity, and it is much more solid, of course, but would it be just roasting for the babe?

TIA for any advice!

L :)

9 answers to this question

What about doing the more solid granny square, only in a thinner yarn? I'll bet the holey granny would be okay, but then again, you never want to take a chance, and want to feel comfortable about the gift you're giving your friend.

HTH-

Rachel

In mu opinion, kids like the holey blankets so they can wrap thier fingers in it and play peek-a-boo and things. My sisters babies all did this with the blankies I made them.

Now on the other hand, I used to make blankies for charity and they didn't want holey blankies for this very reason. The babies could wrap thier fingers in them and get stuck. I think it is really up to the mother on this one. Some Moms are okay with it and some aren't.

What about doing the more solid granny square, only in a thinner yarn? I'll bet the holey granny would be okay, but then again, you never want to take a chance, and want to feel comfortable about the gift you're giving your friend.

I could do that, but then it would be a much smaller blanket. I am doing it in very non-baby colours (light blue, dark blue and orange...her favourite colours!!), so I think that if I make it with the hole-y squares, she can just not use it right away if she is worried about little fingers getting caught. Thanks for the thought though...I never thought about making it with thinner yarn! L

I could do that, but then it would be a much smaller blanket. I am doing it in very non-baby colours (light blue, dark blue and orange...her favourite colours!!), so I think that if I make it with the hole-y squares, she can just not use it right away if she is worried about little fingers getting caught. Thanks for the thought though...I never thought about making it with thinner yarn! L

Just add an extra round or two on each square to make up for the thinner yarn that way you can have less holes, and still end up with the same sized blanket.

I used to make a lot of the Country Button granny when I was doing squares for charity, and it is much more solid.

What is the country button granny?

Stimulating colors-That's a great idea for a baby blanket! Blue and orange are great contrasting colors, too! Thanks for sharing the link, and with all the suggestions my mind is racing with ideas. Lots of the sports teams have contrasting colors, you could make a blanket Dad's would like, too. I'm sure the family will be happy with your thoughtful creation.

Hollier...Here is a link to the Country Button Square http://westwood.fortunecity.com/millen/681/crochetarchive.html#Country%20Button%20Square As you can see it is very solid!

Yelutci...Thanx for the encouragement. I am now SOOOO excited to get this started. I saw this type of design in a knit blanket once, and have been looking for something similar in crochet squares for a while now!

And to all...I have decided to go with the hopscotch square http://www.spatulagraphics.com/krochet/patterns/hopgrn.html I am going to add 2 rounds to make it the same as the original pattern, and I am going to do row 5 in row 6 (I think...still working that out :think) where the solid darker colour in the IQ blanket pattern is. After doing a test with just the WW I had lying around, I actually found this square is fairly lightweight. I forgot how heavy all those 3dc clusters can make things!! I actually used a LOT less yarn!!!

BTW, I found all the links to these squares on Bevs Country Cottage web site http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/grannies.html

L:hook

Archived