Prayer Shawl Ministry

Hello Fellow Crocheters:yay ,

I'm trying to start a Prayer ministry at my church:cheer . Well actually It should be starting next week. I've only been crocheting about a year and half. I have made numerous of blankets, baby sweater and shawl. I don't know how to knit:think , I've been trying to teach myself. Anyway, do any one have any ideas or know of a site that donate or dicount yarn (homespun) :yarn at a discount. I know I love it :manyheart but do everyone else, I hope I have a big turn out.

Greetings from Raleigh, NC

Do you have a Hobby Lobby store locally? You might want to call and ask the manager if they can offer a special discount to your group. He/she may be willing to do so if you can bring a letter on official church letterhead describing your ministry.

Our Michael's and Hobby Lobby stores put the Homespun on sale pretty frequently, so you could also watch either the ads in the Sunday paper or check their websites for their weekly ads.

I'm a member of a yahoo group for Shawl Ministry, and 1 idea that a person there brought up was for people who don't crochet or knit, but want to participate. Tell them they can still participate, in a big BIG way, by donating yarn to be crocheted/knitted. That could help make the group an even larger part of your church also, since it would include the rest of the congregation in some way. You can mention some of the yarn preferences, though, some of the other crafters may prefer the WW yarns also (and may fit into more folks budgets). I tend to use the WW for my shawls more often and folks have loved them.

Different ways of making the shawls can affect their weight, even in the WW. I was surprised when I used a knitting machine to make 1 (the hand machine that has the "needles" sticking out and you slide a handle back and forth) and then there was the Knifty Knitter (round loom.....they also have a straight 1) due to both of them being much more lightweight than my crochet ones. So gives me options for diff times of yr.

That may also help you to recruit those who don't knit/crochet. very easy to use, easy to pick up, etc. :)

Good luck w/ your group.

Eryth is right. My sewing club consists of about a dozen sewers / knotters and about the same number of financial supporters. It makes the project a bigger part of the church.

Aunt Mary's yarns is selling Homespun mill ends for $5.99 a pound. With them you don't always have control over the colors you receive, though. I guess if you said, "Only white" you might be safe. The last time I ordered Caron mill ends through them I specified bright or pastel, and some of the yarn they sent was dark and some was a kind of dull rose, neither pastel nor bright. Overall, though, their mill end sales are a good deal.

I didn't know there was a straight Knifty Knitter. That's cool. It is a good idea to have projects for people who can't do something specific. Our sewing group actually has very few real sewers, which is fine because we also need people to cut the squares out and do the knotting.

I started a Prayer Shawl Ministry at my church in November. So far we've taught 8 women to crochet and have given 80 shawls as of May first. It's very rewarding for the makers as well as the recipients. Several people have donated yarn or gift certificates but, mostly we buy our own.

No we don't have a hobby Lobby but I have Micheal's, A.C Moore and Joannes fabric. I will try that and see if it will work at those stores.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby store locally? You might want to call and ask the manager if they can offer a special discount to your group. He/she may be willing to do so if you can bring a letter on official church letterhead describing your ministry.

Our Michael's and Hobby Lobby stores put the Homespun on sale pretty frequently, so you could also watch either the ads in the Sunday paper or check their websites for their weekly ads.

Thank you so much but (smile) what is WW :blush

I'm a member of a yahoo group for Shawl Ministry, and 1 idea that a person there brought up was for people who don't crochet or knit, but want to participate. Tell them they can still participate, in a big BIG way, by donating yarn to be crocheted/knitted. That could help make the group an even larger part of your church also, since it would include the rest of the congregation in some way. You can mention some of the yarn preferences, though, some of the other crafters may prefer the WW yarns also (and may fit into more folks budgets). I tend to use the WW for my shawls more often and folks have loved them.

Different ways of making the shawls can affect their weight, even in the WW. I was surprised when I used a knitting machine to make 1 (the hand machine that has the "needles" sticking out and you slide a handle back and forth) and then there was the Knifty Knitter (round loom.....they also have a straight 1) due to both of them being much more lightweight than my crochet ones. So gives me options for diff times of yr.

That may also help you to recruit those who don't knit/crochet. very easy to use, easy to pick up, etc. :)

Good luck w/ your group.

Im one of those ones that need a knifty knitter (smile) I still have to learn to knit

Eryth is right. My sewing club consists of about a dozen sewers / knotters and about the same number of financial supporters. It makes the project a bigger part of the church.

Aunt Mary's yarns is selling Homespun mill ends for $5.99 a pound. With them you don't always have control over the colors you receive, though. I guess if you said, "Only white" you might be safe. The last time I ordered Caron mill ends through them I specified bright or pastel, and some of the yarn they sent was dark and some was a kind of dull rose, neither pastel nor bright. Overall, though, their mill end sales are a good deal.

I didn't know there was a straight Knifty Knitter. That's cool. It is a good idea to have projects for people who can't do something specific. Our sewing group actually has very few real sewers, which is fine because we also need people to cut the squares out and do the knotting.

That is a blessing

I started a Prayer Shawl Ministry at my church in November. So far we've taught 8 women to crochet and have given 80 shawls as of May first. It's very rewarding for the makers as well as the recipients. Several people have donated yarn or gift certificates but, mostly we buy our own.

Thank you so much but (smile) what is WW :blush

Sorry about that, it's my abbreviation for "worsted weight" yarn. like red hearts.

• 1 year later...

Am also starting a prayer shawl ministry but we are just in the basic stages. Who, what, when, where, etc. A gal at our church here in Everett, WA got me into crocheting prayer shawls for a hospice & I have decided to see if I can get other ladies in the city interested. I've already crocheted 4 shawls & am keeping track of them on index cards so I can continue to pray for the receipients when I know them or just for the hospice in general. So far, very rewarding & I can't wait for our first meeting. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Bug

Archived