Gauge

nadia

Question

This may be a stupid question but having never made garments before I've never really concerned myself with checking gauge.

If a pattern calls for X amount of yarn does that include enough yarn to make a test piece to check your gauge?:think

17 answers to this question

I don't know -- I've always had the same question. If I make a test square, I always frog it and use it. And I usually have yarn left over. I'm often worried about running out, and I've never used the exact yarn called for by a specific pattern, so I know your anxiety well. :P

Do you pull your hair out trying to figure out what yarn to use as a substitution and how much to get? I've primarily worked with thread, nylon chord and plain old red heart super saver yarn. I am totally and completely lost with all those yarns out there. :faint LOL I've read all about how to substitute yarn but I guess I won't be comfortable with it until I do it an it actually works out for me.:lol

I don't know -- I've always had the same question. If I make a test square, I always frog it and use it. And I usually have yarn left over. I'm often worried about running out, and I've never used the exact yarn called for by a specific pattern, so I know your anxiety well. :P

What's frog it?

Gauge is so tough for me. I end up having to adapt the whole pattern because I never seem to have the right yarn or have a gauge even close to the swatch for the pattern. I buy lots more yarn and either make something else from it or return unused skeins.

Denise

Do you usually buy more or less? I always tend to buy more. I'd rather have a little extra than not enough and even with afghan patterns I make those longer too as they usually go to family members and I make them long enough for them. As tall as I am, I'm actually the short one in my family. Everyone else is 6' - 6' 6".

It depends on how much yarn is needed. I usually buy less if the pattern only calls for 1-2 ounces more yarn than I have, since I sometimes omit borders or fringes. I usually stop afghan patterns whenever I'm tired of doing the same thing over and over again. I don't make mind long enough to cover the whole body. They're more lapghans.

Nadia, you sound like the sort of person who will eventually want to design original things for people, so here's a suggestion for you. Usually the gauge swatch will not use up that much yarn, and some people keep the swatches with notes attached listing the weight, fiber content, etc of the yarn, the hook size used, and how many stitches/rows per inch the swatch is (this is the gauge). That way, you can become familiar with how YOU stitch, and you have those nice pieces to refer to when making items that require gauge be correct. Sort of like your own custom gauge encyclopedia! You can put them in small plastic bags with holes punched for a binder, and they really come in handy when you start designing your own stuff.

This would allow you to calculate the yarn requirements, because it's just a matter of doing basic math. You can actually weigh the items to estimate how many ounces of yarn were used, then refer to the manufacturer's notations of how many yards there are in the 1.75, 3, or 6 oz skein, and figure out how many yards you used. If you've kept your swatch, you can note this on it as well, and eventually you'll be designing everything!!

:cheer When I had my wool shop, many years ago, I used to hold yarn for my customers.

They would pick their pattern and we would find a suitable yarn and then would sometimes put all but a couple of balls aside.

This way, they would have to come back on a regular basis but also meant the customer did not end up with odd balls of yarn left over and if I had someone else looking for a ball of the same yarn, I could check progress with the customer and sell a ball of their yarn if necessary.

The best way to find another yarn which would be suitable for a project is to look at the labels of the yarn.

There is usually a tension or gauge reference, sometimes with what looks like a little knitted square.

If the yarn recommended in your pattern says 22sts and 30 rows = 10cm (4 inches) on a 4mm needle (US 6) (usually talking about knitting but you would use the same hook size for crochet), it will be an 8ply (DK) yarn so you can find another yarn which has the same gauge recommendation and use this for your project.

There are other ways to substitute yarns as well but it will start to get confusing.

The main thing to do, when you get it right, is to keep a note book handy and make notes so you dont have to go through the same thing again next time.

Hope this helps and does not confuse.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

The yardage recommended in patterns is just an estimation, based on how the tester crochets which may be tighter or looser than your tension. It's very important when making wearables to check gauge and change hook size till you get it close to the gauge in the pattern. If you substitute yarn or change the pattern, you are taking your chances and should buy more than you think you'll need; most stores will take unused (whole) skeins of yarn back if you have the receipt. Better than getting close to the end and not having enough to finish, and not being able to find the same dye lot. The only way to overcome your concern is to buy extra. Good luck with your project!

Thanks so much for the info. it helps a great deal. Especially that stores will take the yarn back. I always figured yarn was one of those things they wouldn't take back. :woo

I'm gonna mark this thread! I'm making a sweater right now that, from the looks of things, is gonna fit the Jolly Green Giant!

LOL...I know some Jolly Green Giants...ok not exactly Green but Giants if'n you aren't going to frog your sweater! ;):lol

I'm afraid if I don't check gauge and mess things up so it doesn't fit right I'll just give up and not try again. If I give up then I'll be beating myself up and well, that will hurt.:P

Good question. I usually don't make the guage swatch (I know I'm supposed to...) so I don't know, but I am curious. Usually when I make an item, I have barely enough yarn to finish ( I usually don't buy the exact amount they say, change the pattern a little, mess up somewhere...call it finished when I'm tired of working on it...)

Do you usually buy more or less? I always tend to buy more. I'd rather have a little extra than not enough and even with afghan patterns I make those longer too as they usually go to family members and I make them long enough for them. As tall as I am, I'm actually the short one in my family. Everyone else is 6' - 6' 6".

I am concerned so that's the point I guess.:) I'll likely be substituting yarn to begin with which I'm already antsy about getting that right and I have to allow extra for length as it is. I don't want to run out but I don't want to have way to much either. Guess it's going to be trial and error until I figure it out.:eek

Thanks!:hook

The yardage recommended in patterns is just an estimation, based on how the tester crochets which may be tighter or looser than your tension. It's very important when making wearables to check gauge and change hook size till you get it close to the gauge in the pattern. If you substitute yarn or change the pattern, you are taking your chances and should buy more than you think you'll need; most stores will take unused (whole) skeins of yarn back if you have the receipt. Better than getting close to the end and not having enough to finish, and not being able to find the same dye lot. The only way to overcome your concern is to buy extra. Good luck with your project!

If a pattern calls for X amount of yarn does that include enough yarn to make a test piece to check your gauge?:think

Wow... checking the guage... I never thought to check the guage... maybe that's why I have no control over the size of my projects... I'm glad you brought this up! Heck, I can't even spell guage... gauge?

I'm gonna mark this thread! I'm making a sweater right now that, from the looks of things, is gonna fit the Jolly Green Giant!

This may be a stupid question but having never made garments before I've never really concerned myself with checking gauge.

Good question. I usually don't make the guage swatch (I know I'm supposed to...) so I don't know, but I am curious. Usually when I make an item, I have barely enough yarn to finish ( I usually don't buy the exact amount they say, change the pattern a little, mess up somewhere...call it finished when I'm tired of working on it...)

I am concerned so that's the point I guess.:) I'll likely be substituting yarn to begin with which I'm already antsy about getting that right and I have to allow extra for length as it is. I don't want to run out but I don't want to have way to much either. Guess it's going to be trial and error until I figure it out.:eek

Thanks!:hook

I don't think the small piece that you make for a test swatch would really make a difference in the total yardage required, but if you are concerned, you could just frog the piece anyway.

Archived