help with size please

soar

Question

I am making this

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/tonis-newborn-sweater.html

using 3 ply and a J 6.00mm hook

I know the pattern calls for a K hook but i can't find mine and I need to make this within the next couple of days

anyway what i have done so far is way too small for a new born would doubling the number of stitches work or does anyone have any ideas please

13 answers to this question

yes i didn't think one hook size would make that much difference and i have kept it fairly loose but really it is tiny , ah well just gotta keep trying i guess as i love the pattern and the simple one piece way of making it

:think If you are talking about the 3ply that I know, you would not use a 6mm.

This is a very fine yarn with a large hook.

The chart I have, has a 6mm hook matching a US 10 but does not have a letter comparison.

3 ply is done to a tension of 32 sts & 40 rows to 10cm (4 inches) on a 3.25mm needles (knitting) 3.25mm = size 3 US.

:think Maybe your 3ply is not the same as ours.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I finally got the link to open and it looks a bit like maybe the yarn is doubled.

:think If you are talking about the 3ply that I know, you would not use a 6mm.

This is a very fine yarn with a large hook.

I was just thinking the same thing, Colleen. It would be like a fishing net! :eek

Maybe the 3 ply soar is talking about is not the same, but she mentions that DK is heavier, which has me worried. . .

Hi re the yarn

the pattern says 3ply and a K hook which i don't have so i tried a J hook which as I said didn't work

dk :yarn is heavier than 3ply isn't it:think

I am trying it now doubling the number of stitches and using a 4.50 hook and 3 ply :yarn I think it's working but i'm not totally sure , can never get my head round the guage thing:blush

maybe i should look for another pattern in similar style ..any ideas

Maybe you could do something like this

http://www.angelfire.com/va/thevelvetpumpkin/sweater.html

but use the baby measurement and instead of working the front in one piece you could do it in two pieces when it says this

*Hdc across body width until you have the same amount or rows/same length as the front of the sweater!

instead of hdc the whole body width do half for the length then join at the same spot on the other side and do the same thing. KWIM

Hi re the yarn

the pattern says 3ply and a K hook which i don't have so i tried a J hook which as I said didn't work

dk :yarn is heavier than 3ply isn't it:think

Hi soar

Yes, it is -- heavier than our 3ply (UK and Australian). But as Colleen and I said earlier, that's a very fine yarn that you'd never use a 6mm hook with, not even doubled IMO. I was assuming it must be an American pattern and mean something else by "3ply" than the yarn we call that here. . .

Well, I emailed Bev to try to get the final word about the yarn used in the pattern.

She said:

They are all US patterns on my site unless stated otherwise. I think I might have one that isn't.

3 ply here is probably like DK yarn in England. It's been so long since I lived there!! It is not quite as thick as yarn like Red Heart 4 ply worsted weight. But it isnt' real fine yarn either. You would knit adult sweaters out of it normally here, at least I would.

Does that help?

So it doesn't sound as if it is the fine stuff Colleen and I know as 3-ply. Soar, the headers to your messages don't say where you are, but it sounded to me like you were using the very fine stuff too -- are you in the UK or Oz?

Oh Thank you all so much, yes I am in the UK and 3 ply is very fine so thats why it didn't work I have tried doubling the number of stitches and using a smaller hook and thats too small :(

.... I am more used to making things for prem babies which are always small. Anyway I have given up with the sweater and am making a victorian cape using 3 ply which will probably be too small too DOH!

the reason I wanted to make a newborn something with 3 ply is because I painstaking made a baby afghan in 3 ply and wanted something just as soft to complete the set, hey ho i guess she will just have to have the afghan and when I know if she has a boy or girl I will rush out and get some baby DK

You are all so lovely for taking the time to help with this:manyheart

Archived