Adding on to existing piece

cityscape

Question

Hi there! This is my first post to Crochetville! Crocheting is a relatively new hobby for me. My first piece was the One-Skein Scarf from Stitch 'n Bitch, and it turned out beautifully. Now I'm working on a Crochet Hobo Bag from Lion Brand (pattern is here), and I've hit a wall. I've done one of the straps, but I don't understand how to start the second strap. I'm supposed to skip 10 spaces and then start working the side just like the other side. How do I start the yarn to do this? All the directions I can find are for seaming, but it isn't supposed to be a seam. Is this something simple that I am just missing? HELP please!!

Thank you so much!

8 answers to this question

SECOND HANDLE:Skip 10 spaces from the last st worked on Row 31, join yarn in next space, ch 3 and work same as for other handle

is what it says on the pattern. Do you know how to join yarn? Guess not or you wouldn't asking this question.

There is a lot of stitch help at Annie's Attic...this link....

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?type_id=S

It would pretty much be the same as chaning colors because what you're doing is having to start from a spot that is ...........

I just am no good at explaining stuff like this. I'm very sorry. I have no doubt someone else will come along very soon and be able to describe it to you much better.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck on this. It's really not hard. If you were sitting here beside me I could sure show you how but to describe each step so you would understand is another story.

Oh, and by the way....welcome to C'ville!! :manyheart

Lisa :hook

Thanks Lisa and Marnie! I've looked at the diagram, and I think maybe I get it. It's like changing colors or starting a new ball of yarn, which I know how to do, but I don't have a loose end to tie together with the end of the new yarn. How do I keep it from unraveling? The directions on the link say to cut the first yarn to 2 inches, but I can't do that -- it's part of the top row of the bag body. I think I'm still a little lost. :P

After you've finished the first handle, you finish off then just join the yarn with a slip stitch into the proper stitch and then chain. Leave enough extra yarn to weave in the ends. When the second handle is done, you join them together. Weave in all the ends.

After you've finished the first handle, you finish off then just join the yarn with a slip stitch into the proper stitch and then chain. Leave enough extra yarn to weave in the ends. When the second handle is done, you join them together. Weave in all the ends.

Shebear,

So it's OK to just start the handle out of thin air? You don't need a knot somewhere? This is the part that is worrying me. I don't want to get it all done and then have it start to unravel as soon as I put something heavy in it. I've always knotted when starting a new ball. Do I not need to?

I'm relatively new at this and scared to doing something wrong... :eek

Ok When you finish with the first side of the handle, you cut the yarn after you tie off. THEN you go over ten stitches from where started the first side of the handle and then join the yarn and work the Other side of the handle and then sew the two sides of the handle together in the center. Does that make sense?

:cheer Hold a good tail of the thread, behind your work, and then put the hook through the stitch you are going to work into, hook the thread through, hold the tail up and make a CH around it, then hold the tail back down, (do more CH if necessary if making DC) if making SCs, just make the first SC into the same place and for as many as requested, working right over the tail for as many stitches as you can. If there is any tail left, trim it off or weave it back through that row when you are finished.

:cheer This is how you can join in any new thread, especially good if you are making stripes, then you can crochet over both tails. There is never any danger that your work will come undone if you have a tail at least 4 inches long.

Ask if you need anything made clearer.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, You do not need to knot the yarn when joining, only a running knot at the very start.

THANK YOU Colleen!! :yay I understand what everyone else was trying to say now! I just need to stitch over the tail to make sure it is firmly in place. I can handle that. I'm so glad I don't need to worry about the handle unraveling. :)

You all have been wonderful. I can't wait 'til it's finished so I can post a picture.

Archived