Help with thread size

onewhitetulip

Hello! I found this beautiful pattern for a doily (http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/Oblong.html). My only problem is that it calls for The Famous "PURITAN" MERCERIZED CROCHET COTTON, Article 40, and I have no idea what size thread that would correlate to in today's terms (It's a vintage pattern.) Could anyone help me? Thank you!

~Allison

I am working on a vintage pattern also that calls for this thread. I am using size #3 thread with a #0 hook, I know my doily will be a bit larger but that is okay. The thread in their instructions is probably the same as #10 thread as I don't know if they had a #3 back then. Hope this helps

Darlene:hook

Looking at the size of the hook used. I would say that your thread size would be a size 10 thread. a size 7 hook is the most common size used with size 10 thread. Hope this helps.

Looking at the size of the hook used. I would say that your thread size would be a size 10 thread. a size 7 hook is the most common size used with size 10 thread. Hope this helps.

That was my guess too, but I was waiting for you to answer since you are the "Thread" lady! :) Wow, I actually know something about thread! :hook

Archived