I'm going for it

cherish

Question

Well I've decided to look into designing baby crochet items, Haven't a clue where to start so I'l have to look here and around the web and see if I can find some information about it.Anyone know of anywhere I can look it will be appreciated

8 answers to this question

Sorry Etaria I meant the actual writing down of the pattern. I think I need to invest in a laminator when I've actually written a pattern as I think this would be better than just a pattern on paper. Don't know if anyone has a laminator who could could advise me on which sort to buy

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/designer_guidelines.htm

Is this the type of information you are looking for.

I know Maggie has patterns published in Annies Attic and she, Maggie also sells her pattern kits etc and Annies Attic books on her website.

Hope this is helpful for you

Sorry Etaria I meant the actual writing down of the pattern. I think I need to invest in a laminator when I've actually written a pattern as I think this would be better than just a pattern on paper. Don't know if anyone has a laminator who could could advise me on which sort to buy

No need to be sorry...! But I am still again confused. I think you are wondering how to begin to actually write a pattern. I do not understand how a laminator helps with that... maybe it has some ingenious innate writing method?! (lol)

If you mean protecting your patterns after they are complete, I would just put them into a sleeve protector and burn a copy on a CD.

As for where to begin on writing a pattern... I think that varies greatly from designer to designer. Here some threads to maybe get you started.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2940

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9064

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=840

As for myself... I sometimes have a sketch in mind of what I want to make and what I want it to look like. But from when I start- I never know if that is how it will be. First i figure what sizes I plan to make... I then figure out my gauge of my main stitch.. say sc for example. I then draw a rough sketch of my garment and figure out how many stitches approx where.. so then I get started and experiment as I go...

It entails a lot of ripping.. sometimes days of ripping...

Most important thing I learned though is to write everything down as I go even if it will be ripped later. You never know when those ripped fragments of notes may come in handy.. and if you decide to keep it... trying to write and remeber what you did before is a pain in the *hiney.* But then, that is me.. I am sure for many others they have no problem with that.

I would start with something small and uncomplicated. Something that does not have much shaping etc.. and work your way up. Just get something simple down on paper and then refine from there. I know it sounds tedious and the nature of the beast is to jump right in where the excitement is at... but it is important to get the foundation and get into a habitual form of writing.. or else you get like me with testers who will one day retaliate with a picture of me on a dart board with hooks a flyin'....

I hope this helps!

Most important thing I learned though is to write everything down as I go even if it will be ripped later. You never know when those ripped fragments of notes may come in handy.. and if you decide to keep it... trying to write and remeber what you did before is a pain in the *hiney.* But then, that is me.. I am sure for many others they have no problem with that.

YES! You do not know how many times I create something and do not write it down as I go. I get lazy and think I will remember it and write it down later (yeah, right.) They key to designing a pattern is writing it down as you go.

Oh Etaria,

You are the greatest. I wish I would only listen to you. I am still desiging things and thinking to myself, "oh, I am going along so nicely and this is soooo easy that I don't need to write it down" and opps. I am at the end of the dress and I have no clue what I did at the beginning. How I wish I would listen to your advice.

Archived