bead hole size!!!

brittolicious

I love crocheting, I love jewelry making, and I would love to combine the two!!! :clap But I have a problem finding beads that have big enough hole to work with my wire and I'm sure I will have the same problem if I try to work with yarn :(

How do you solve this problem? Help:P -Britt;-)

Normally the size of the bead determines the size of the hole. The larger the bead the more area they have to put a hole into, hence a larger hole. For yarn I normally use a size 6 bead as it shows up well and goes onto the yarn fairly easy. I have used size 8s but they sort of got lost and were a pain to string.

The size beads you need for wire will be determined by the guage of the wire. I have never crocheted with wire so I am not familar with what guages work best with what beads. But one would need a pretty fine guage to get the flexibilty to crochet with so I imagine you could use the smaller beads to do that sort of project. I know I can easily string a size 12 bead on 24 guage wire which I am sure would be really to heavy to crochet with anyway. Hope this helps,

thank you!!! yeah size 6 seed beads are about the bigget holes I can find! I wish I could find 4 to 6 mm beads with larger holes! Your patterns are beautiful I don't know how you find the patience! ;-)

You can always order off line for the larger beads. I get most of my beads at http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/ a lot of people like Firemountain beads. I shop shipweck since I live close enough that I can occasionally get down there and fondle all the beads. Either one would have the larger sizes you are looking for.

As for patience! I am probably one of the most impatient people I know. I use the beading and crocheting to slow me down......:lol

thank you!!! yeah size 6 seed beads are about the bigget holes I can find! I wish I could find 4 to 6 mm beads with larger holes! Your patterns are beautiful I don't know how you find the patience! ;-)

Hi...

Not sure just what you want to do with the beads? Most 4mm beads will fit onto a 21 gauge wire, some will fit on 20 gauge. I have 2.5mm sterling silver and gold beads from Fire Mountain, and they will fit on 21 ga... but I have some others (can't remember where I got them) that won't. If you are planning to crochet with the wire, you will probably be using 26ga or 28 ga wire, and should not have problems fitting most beads on. I have the biggest problems with freshwater pearls, because their holes are microscopic, and I don't have the patience to drill them larger (which can be done).

I'd love to know what you plan to do to combime the two media.

Joan

Then try Shipwreck I know they have every size bead imaginable. Their store is Hugemongous. Not to mention their wherehouse. Which I was given a tour of one time when I was down there. Their show room is about the size of a football field. DH says about 25,000 square feet of show room space. They have Beads beads and more beads. I can spend hours and hours down there. Good thing they have a Latte stand. :D

I thought about it and I'm looking to make a cloche or a scarf with worsted weight yarn so I don't pull out my hair tryng to deal with thread:D well and actually finishing the project:lol

• 3 months later...

If you are using gemstone beads you can use and battery or hand reamer to make the hole larger. Make sure you dip the bead you are reaming in water to keep it from over heating and cracking. If you are using a battery operated reamer you are better off to ream the bead while it is in the water. The battery operated reamer goes a heck of a lot faster than the hand reamer so if you are reaming a lot of beads I recommend the battery operated reamer. It is the one of the best investments you will ever make ;) You can purchase one here.

http://www.fdjtool.com/store/showitem.asp?Cat=65&item=CD27510&store=5

Fire mountian beads will send you a catalog that will just blow your mind away! It is just filled to the brink with every kind of imaginable bead, wire, clasp, etc. The catalog has at least 900 pages of fantastic items. And their prices don't seem bad at all. I see quite a few amethest beads I want to order when I get some cash.

I just received my catalog yesterday and I just drool over every page!:lol

Order a catalog online! You will definately be pleased!

Linda:manyheart

• 3 weeks later...
You can always order off line for the larger beads. I get most of my beads at http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/ a lot of people like Firemountain beads. I shop shipweck since I live close enough that I can occasionally get down there and fondle all the beads. Either one would have the larger sizes you are looking for.

As for patience! I am probably one of the most impatient people I know. I use the beading and crocheting to slow me down......:lol

wow, that would be WAY too tempting for me!!

Archived