Suggestion for stitching lacy squares together

mysterious_ways

Question

Hi!

Hope you can help me... I am currently working on a shrug made of several squares (I've got the inspiration and the pattern for the squares here)

And now I nearly finished making all the squares and I realized I don't know how I'll put them together! :(

The problem is that with the shawl that I got the inspiration from, the squares were attached as you crochet and I miss that part somehow...

Please, please... help me...

11 answers to this question

Do you have the Harmony Guides? They have a few suggestions for joining that are pretty neat. If not, there are several joining methods that would be nice, but not knowing what your squares look like, I can only give you a general idea. There is one technique that might be good, it involves attaching the yarn to a corner of a square, and chaining a few (pick a #) then either sl st or sc to the next square, then chain and attach to the original square, kind of in a zig zag type pattern. I hope that makes sense. Have you googled for joining methods?

Did you make your squares in yarn or thread? Priscilla Hewitt has a joining method that might work with your squares. It's called the flat braid. She has a tutorial here. While she's using yarn and it's on a granny square, perhaps it could be done in a finer thread with your lacy squares. It's worth a look anyway. Good luck! :hook

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!!!

The pattern I'm using is this one http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/Gelenka/crochet/b182022f.jpg

And the black dots around are the stitches where I should join the squares together. So I think the best way is to use a needle.... besides I don't know how can I hide the ends of the yarn...

What do you think?

Yeah, I think your squares call for just plain needle stitching, so they can form that nice pattern together. I stitched this up with a needle, and I just weaved each end in, in a spot where the pattern wasn't too airy. And I used the same yarn as I crocheted it with. I think it should work for you too.

blackshawl5ll.jpg

Cuddlefish, your scarf is gorgeous! Thanks for giving us a chance to see it!:)

Mysterious Ways, Have you tried to contact Hellen? She states in her post that she is open to questions.:think

Man, I've seen that scarf before, but that was a real treat to get to see it again! It's gorgeous! :c9

And mysterious, I think your shrug should probably end up looking equally as stunning if you use that method for joining your motifs. I can hardly wait to see it when you're done! :cheer

The shrug is ready!!!! I'm so happy!

It didn't turn out as I wanted but being my first shrug I think it's okay.

I'm going to post on the "show-and-tell" when I have a better picture of it!

And again thanks everyone for the help!!! :)

Archived