my turn for help

Julie

While I get what the doily pattern says to do here:

(Slip st, c1, sc) in next dc, (tr in next ch-1 sp, pulling tr to right side, sc in next dc) 13 times...

the highlighted text throws me for a loop. I know what the end result should be, a nice little bobble in-between each sc stitch. The problem is I'm not sure of the proper technique to 'pull tr to right side'... the bobbles that are forming want to pop to the back of the doily, not the front as they should, no matter how I try to manuever the thread, hook, and tr stitch. Any tips for working through this?

I am seriously considering turning the doily around and working from behind, then the bobbles would pop out in the proper direction. The whole round is a repeat of this section over and over, so it wouldn't be readily apparent that I am working from the back. I just don't want to because I know it should be possible to do it properly. Maybe just not for me, maybe for someone else! :ohdear

HELP!

I'm thinking that the 'pull tr to right side' means you should hold your tr toward the right side of your work when you work the next stitch. That should produce the bobble on the right side of the doily instead of the wrong side.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure the Doily Divas will step in and correct me. :lol (hint, hint, homeburrough and Katchkan ;))

I'm thinking that the 'pull tr to right side' means you should hold your tr toward the right side of your work when you work the next stitch.

That's what I think/thought too. And I tried pushing it down with my finger and holding it while I worked the sc - didn't seem to help much. I know, it's me.

Are u going through the front loop or the back loop when u make the tr

Going through the front because the pattern doesn't specify to go through the back - but I tried it through the back loop too, just to see if that made a noticeable difference. It didn't.

Well I tried what you wrote, I take it this is over a row of dc, ch1, dc, repeated,

To make the bobble to the front I held the tr st off to the left hand side and did my sc in the dc, But I am left handed. I am sure for you right handers it would be hold it off to the right side. Not the right side of the work but the right side of where you are working. Hope that made sense. This made the tr fold in half basicly sticking out to the front of the work.

I always work through both loops of the st unless otherwise noted.

Okay, thanks Kathy. I'll try it again. What you wrote sounds exactly like it should would work, so then it boils down to something I'm not doing when I'm holding everything and performing the stitches... it's got to be me because it makes sense, I'm just not making it work properly.

I was half-asleep last night, but I did mean to say I was working through both loops, from the front. In my irritation (read, desperation) at why it wasn't working right I tried it through both loops from the back of the ch1 sp. It didn't make any difference, didn't think it would but had to try. :P

Thanks Kathy, but don't go to the trouble just yet. I'm going to sit down with it after lunch and try again. I think I just got too frustrated last night, got mad about it and should have been more patient. I'll keep you posted, but this time I'm more optimistic about it so we'll see if I can manage it. :U

I think I got it! The bobbles are popping to the proper side now, and I haven't done and grumbling yet so it must be working right. To be honest I don't think I'm doing too much different than last night other than being more patient with it. Thanks so much for all your help Kathy, I really appreciate it! :D

Archived