Do You Wash You r Projects Before Giving Them Away?

Many of the crocheted items I give as gifts are baby afghans so yes I do was them before giving them as a gift. I especially put them through the rinse and use fabric softener on them. This way they really smell nice, I don't smoke, and are super soft. My daughter has also picked up this habit from me and she also does the same.

I not only get the remark with the thank you note that I do beautiful work but how very soft the afghan is.

:manyheart

when it comes to baby items...i always wash...using dreft (great for people with allergies or sensitive skin, like babies). Other things....not so much unless they really smell like smoke (my mom smokes in the house...and sometimes it gets into whatever I make) or of they have a dog allergy....

I don't smoke, and I don't have pets, but those things would definitely make me want to wash something I was going to give away.

Wash before giving an item to someone else. Just like you should clean clothing you buy at the store before wearing. Gets rid of any airborne particles or scents.

The slightest anything makes me itch so I'm super-sensitive to these types of things because I wouldn't want anyone else to have problems.

I've never had any project come apart. But sometimes what will happen is that ends that I have weaved in will start coming a little loose and the loose end will start showing on the "front" side of the blanket (if there is one). I don't like when that happens so I work the ends in a little better.

• 14 years later...

So pleased to have found you guys. I've knitted garments, made quilts, and all sorts of things throughout my life [ I'm 81 haha]. Have sometimes washed things before gifting, but if they have still looked pristine have not bothered. Now I'm making what will probably be the last matinee jackets, as my fingers are not as agile as they were, and I thought I would wash them as we are in the midst of the pandemic . Maybe the mum won't want them  considering the frightening times we're living through x

Archived