Crochet at state fairs, etc.

In researching crochet on the web, I've seen several sites with photos of award-winning thread pieces. They were entered, along with tatting and other lace work, in state fairs.:cheer General state fair info links for each state at: www.ncstatefair.com

Does anyone in C'ville do this? Does anyone know how to find out about this?:think

Thanks.

Thanks for that link, Gran, I was thinking about entering local competitions...as the California State Fair is in Sacramento maybe some of us N.Cal gals could meet up?

Whooohooo...I just realised this is my 500th post...how typing flies when you are having so much fun!

Hello, Pink. Sounds like a nice thing to do, doesn't it? If you do enter, would you mind posting the formalities of the entering and judging process, so we could see if it is similar in all the states? Thanks.

I entered some doilies for the first time last year. I entered in both my county and state. I was a nervous wreck getting them ready but it was worth it.

For the county fair I check the newspaper around the time the fair comes around. They have a little booklet with all the categories and a phone/email to register and a form to fill out. For the state I have to check the website and look for commercials on tv.

It's fun to do and a great way to get inspiration. I especially love the state fair since I get a lot of inspiration from other people who are just as into it as I am :)

Thanks for that link. Although I haven't been crocheting that long, I'd love to challenge myself to make something that's good enough to enter in a state fair. In fact, I had borrowed a book with prize winning afghans from the library that inspired me to consider it.

I, too, entered stuff in the fairs this past year for the first time. Both in county and state. I had no idea what to expect, having never entered before. Everything blue ribboned, but I know some states are MUCH more competitive than others, therefore, the judging is stricter. I never even made it to the state fair to see what kind of competition I was up against. I learned of my ribbons when my husband picked up my stuff !

There was a tremendous difference between county and state as far as # of categories. The state was much more broken down into several categories as opposed to just a few at county. The premium book explains everything. I was able to pick that up at our local Chamber of commerce.

It's an experience I think everybody should try at least once! Good for your ego, too!

Susan Rae

I have entered into the State Fair of Texas last year. Even though my item was crocheted then felted I had to put it in felting (not in crochet). It did take a first place in the field though. You can see it on my site just click on my signature line. It is called "Vino"

Our CGOA chapter makes it a "thing" to do. We have found it challenging and fun. We even have the fair people come out and talk to us. We did have to alter what we do to suite the catagories so, if you enter pay close attention to what they expect. What we learned form it is to have GOOD STITCH WORK, good presentation and follow their rules.

Have fun and good luck to you that choose to enter.

Hello, Pink. Sounds like a nice thing to do, doesn't it? If you do enter, would you mind posting the formalities of the entering and judging process, so we could see if it is similar in all the states? Thanks.

Absolutely, I will. I had a quick look at the California State Fair info and it seems like they have a comprehensive booklet. I was impressed to see the entrance fee is $9, somehow I expected it to be more like $20! (I think I'm very jaded by the high cost of living here.) I'll definitely make an effort to follow up on this, especially as the event is during the summer when school is out and I won't be working. Thanks again for the very useful link, Gran.

Thanks for that link, Gran, I was thinking about entering local competitions...as the California State Fair is in Sacramento maybe some of us N.Cal gals could meet up?

Whooohooo...I just realised this is my 500th post...how typing flies when you are having so much fun!

20 years ago I entered a sweater and an afghan to Cal Expo, along with a stuffed animal that I sewed...the crocheted items missed placing 3 by a few points, but the stuffed animal won 2nd place and $20.00. And free admission to the fair. You need to place at least 3rd in order for your items to be exhibited in that particular fair...

Good luck to you if you enter your items to CAL Expo...I'll be rooting for you. Sacramento is one of my hometowns...my mom and sisters live there.

Archived