Your opinion on Best of Terry Kimbrough Baby Afghan

sakurasaku

I just got Best of Terry Kimbrough Afghans on an impulse purchase, and while the designs are gorgeous to look at, I am finding quite a few of them to be a bit too lacey and "hole-y" for my personal taste and practical use.

Can the same thing be said of Best of Terry Kimbrough Baby Afghan? I didn't see a copy at the store, but I'm considering ordering one online, and would like to know if it's worth it for me.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

i have this book.. love this book and all the recipients of the blankets made from this book have loved them

HOWEVER

and this is a big one.. if you dont like lacy afghans there is only i want to say maybe 2 or 3 in the book that have a more solid feel.. you will NOT like the book

i dont think this book was made to be a practical type blanket book.. more an heirloom or "sunday best" type afghan book..

i have this book.. love this book and all the recipients of the blankets made from this book have loved them

HOWEVER

and this is a big one.. if you dont like lacy afghans there is only i want to say maybe 2 or 3 in the book that have a more solid feel.. you will NOT like the book

i dont think this book was made to be a practical type blanket book.. more an heirloom or "sunday best" type afghan book..

Ditto.

And might I add that everytime I make one of her baby blankets everyone who sees it literally freeeeks out. They are instant heirlooms! :bounce

Thank you so much, everyone, for the information! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know. I love this forum. :manyheart

I think I'll get the book to make *special gifts*. Baby ones will be less overwhelming than full-sized ones for this newbie.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the information! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know. I love this forum. :manyheart

I think I'll get the book to make *special gifts*. Baby ones will be less overwhelming than full-sized ones for this newbie.

And one thing to remember with her baby afghans: the edging is half the pattern. When I'm making a project I always think of how much time does this project still have left so I know how quickly to work, and these will fool you. You get the center panel done and you think, wow, "I'm almost finished", but the edgings take just as much, if not more time. And of course, the results are amazing!! :bounce

I also have this book, and have had it for a couple years now. One word of caution: I made the one pictured on p. 30, no. 3 in the book, and it came out WAY SMALL. I was very disappointed because I made it for a shower gift, and then didn't have time to make something else when I saw how small it was. I had to steam it and stretch it before "presentation," and then warn the recipient that it would shrink. Yes, I did crochet to gauge. I haven't had any problems with any others, but I've only made 3 out of the book. The ripple one (11A and 11B) is nice.

Just a word to the wise.

not trying to be mean.. that is why checking your gauge is important ..

and what Drew said.. once you get the middle done.. its only like half sometimes only a third.. there are a few that dont have an elaborate edging.. but .. the ones that do .. they will trick you .. the result is SO worth it..

As I said in my original post, I did check my gauge and I crocheted to the gauge specified in the pattern. As I also said, I have made a couple others from this book and they came out fine. It's ok; sometimes I don't read things completely either! :)

Everyone loves them because they are really gorgeous!

I have made three of the beautiful blankets for grandchildren!! They are smaller than I usually make for a baby blanket, but they were made for Christening or blessings (out of white yarn). They are heirlooms and will also be used for future grandchildren. The recipients were amazed and loved them, because of how beautiful they were.

The other grandma asked me again later if I "MADE?" that blanket! She couldn't believe it. That made me feel good -- she is dripping in money, and I cannot compete with all that she is going to dish out. :D

I agree with Drew -- don't think you are done when you get the inside of the blanket done. Her trim takes as long or longer than the inside of the blanket. It is definitely worth it though. Honestly, they are the prettiest blankets I have ever made.

As I said in my original post, I did check my gauge and I crocheted to the gauge specified in the pattern. As I also said, I have made a couple others from this book and they came out fine. It's ok; sometimes I don't read things completely either! :)

Everyone loves them because they are really gorgeous!

I have to go check my copy to see which baby afghan came out small for you. I made one also that was clearly coming out too small. I had to rip it out and refigure the whole pattern to make it wider, and then work it longer, to make it a good size. I bet we're talking about the same darn pattern. It was beautiful, but was coming out more like a doll blanket. And yeah, I was working to gauge too!

OK I went and pulled out my book. Sure enough, we are talking about the same afghan!!

I bet we're talking about the same darn pattern. It was beautiful, but was coming out more like a doll blanket. And yeah, I was working to gauge too!

OK I went and pulled out my book. Sure enough, we are talking about the same afghan!!

Thank you for checking this! :cheer:jumpyay:ty I'm glad to know it wasn't me, because I couldn't stand that...lol....It is truly beautiful, though more like a doll blanket than a baby blanket. What did you do to make it bigger?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my gosh I missed your post! I am just now seeing it. Sorry! I ripped and restarted, and I figured out the starting chain to accomodate 2 more squares of width, I think? So 2 extra squares across bottom, and then a larger inner body. I think I may have had to fudge a bit on the edging. Still came out beautiful!!!

Well, that's ok; I wasn't offended! Thanks for the info, if I ever make it again. I wonder how it'd be in worsted (like Caron Simply Soft) with a bigger hook...hmmm...maybe not need any adjustments at all. Whaddaya think? I think I'll try it!

:hook

I think that would probably work well!! If you try it, let me know how it goes. It's such a pretty blanket.

Btw, is there a way on this forum to view all unread messages to me? I feel like I probably miss so many. Maybe I can adjust my settings so that I am emailed when someone replies to me?

Btw, is there a way on this forum to view all unread messages to me? I feel like I probably miss so many. Maybe I can adjust my settings so that I am emailed when someone replies to me?

If you click on "User CP" in the dark band above, it will take you to a page that lists all the "responses" to any threads you've posted to. You may have to adjust settings, but this is where I go.

And, thank you for verifying that pattern for me! Even though I knew I was working to gauge, I still thought maybe I did something wrong...like my stitches were too small or something...and I may just try it with some Simply Soft. I know several people who are pregnant and would love to have one of these gorgeous afghans.

I finally bought my copy and am very happy that I did. The patterns are gorgeous. I'll keep an eye out for the ones that may come out too small, as warned...

In my limited experience, when you do a lacy baby pattern in Caron SS to make it larger (which is exactly what I tried once, though not with a Terry Kimbrough pattern), you may find that the holes get too big, since everything is scaled up, naturally. I ended up frogging it. I suggest you try a swatch in the pattern first...but I guess people do that anyway, right?

In my limited experience, when you do a lacy baby pattern in Caron SS to make it larger...you may find that the holes get too big, since everything is scaled up, naturally.

I'll keep this in mind; thanks for the suggestion!! You will love the blankets in here, and they really do make stunning gifts.

Archived