Bernat's Openwork Poncho modified to a Skirt

KinkyLilBlackDress

Well, I thought it's time I start showing off some of my work.

I took Bernat's Openwork Poncho and modified it so that it would fit me as a skirt. This project started off with all the intentions of making this following the pattern as a poncho-like top. When I finished it, and it wouldn't fit around my top, I ended up repeating the last round six more times in order to fashion a skirt out of it. I had a skein of the Bernat Velour left over, so I made a matching scarf to go with it. The skirt took 4 skeins, the scarf took less than a half of one.

This material was very easy and quick to work with. I was able to complete the project over two lazy weekends. In hours, I would say it took just about 10. The biggest frustration I had was that I kept twisting the beginning chain, and had to start over three times. The fourth time it still had half a twist, but I managed to crochet over it, and you can barely see the twist in the finished product. I'm not quite sure how to care for this project, wash-wise. It does shed quite a bit, and I had a wine-colored haze over my black pants when I got home from work.

Bernat.jpg

Great idea! I've seen a few poncho patterns that can double as skirts or strapless tops. I think the idea of wearing it over black pants is good:) too. So trendy!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived