Has anybody seen this article? Crochet on Campus!

I thought it was interesting how things have changed in just a few years. When I was a child I was considered STRANGE b/c I liked to crochet. I remember vividly other children making faces and mean comments, making me feel so bad that I would try to hide the fact that I liked to crochet from every one except other people who crochet. (usually people who were my great grandmothers age)

Then as I got older, people my age stopped being mean, but I was still considered strange. During my teens and early twentys I lived in Holly Wood CA. There differences were much more accepted. While there, I was considered a quante novelty. People were always amused to see me, the young crocheting red head with a southern drawl.

I'm now 33, and it's amazing the change in attitude in such a short time. Before I was ridiculed, now I'm envied. When did that happen? What caused such a drastic change in attitude? I'm glad it happened, but it is puzzling.:think

A lot of it is people your age simply growing up and maturing. Kids are mean to each other at times. By the time you're in your thirties people don't care so much about picking on others. :lol

It doesn't hurt that the attitude about crocheting is also changing. :)

It's true part of it is being older, but a few weeks ago one of my sons friends came over to play (a 9 year old boy) well the little boy got very excited when he saw me crochet. He said he had seen that before, and would I let him try. :eek

When I was younger there was no way a 9 year old boy even wanted to LOOK at crochet, let alone TRY it! He's not the only one either. lately I've had quite a few children wanting to crowed around me and watch me crochet.

There was a crochet club on campus when I was in school. They taught people to crochet. People in that club were very creative. I'd been crocheting for a number of years before joining them, yet they were able to make some beautiful scarves using striping and color patterns.

There was a crochet club on campus when I was in school. They taught people to crochet. People in that club were very creative. I'd been crocheting for a number of years before joining them, yet they were able to make some beautiful scarves using striping and color patterns.

Your so lucky! What I read in the article just fascinated me. I've never heard of such a thing. I think it's a GREAT idea! :yay

I wish I had access to something like that around here.:(

I think what's helped is all the new crochet books that have updated the look, and the fact that the media and couture designers have brought it into the spotlight.

Glad to see this is being told. Actually about a year ago, there was an article in our local paper St. Pete Times, about the local middle School (Carwise Middle School).

They are teaching the boys and girls how to crochet. These kids have taken to it so much, that they carry it on the bus and think nothing of it, taking it out of their backpacks and working on the squares on the bus.

I thought it was great, and appartently, the club has really grown, to the point of them looking for more help and yarn for the kids.

I love seeing the younger generation getting into something that has been around for a long time. It is great to see them interested in something other than computer games and such.:hook

I think a lot of it has to do with us being able to communicate online with others who enjoy our craft. I personally know so few others who enjoy to do any kind of needlework, let alone crochet.

Many, many people (men and women) I know here in grad school knit and we even have our own SnB.

And in college (grant you, I was in the honors dorm! - so not the typical party-hardy place), we had a Bitch n Stitch were people brought sewing machines, knitting, etc. I never went, but many of my friends did. And that was 1996-2000, way before it was all popular again.

I also know several of my high school friends who now crochet.

Then again, I was always made fun of in school because I did very well and was at the top of my class. Kids will latch on to anything if you're the odd person out.

I love seeing the younger generation getting into something that has been around for a long time. It is great to see them interested in something other than computer games and such.:hook

Amen to that! I'm glad crochet is no longer such an endangered species. It's a shame that in the past so many people missed out on the feeling of "I made it myself"

I've been thinking about it and I think more and more people are coming to appreciate the quality and beauty of hand made items, and have started to realize that disposable and fast aren't always what there cracked up to be.

(at least I hope that's what's happening);)

Archived