Stupid question about doilies

Hi,

This is my first post on this site and I have a very silly question.I just started learning crochet.My question is are doilies meant to placed on tables?And can we keep some thing on then like a vase or candle stand or are they just placed on table with out any thing.I hope some one will answer to my silly question.

Sameena.

I believe that doilies were originally intended as decorative protection for furniture when placing vases, etc. on said furniture. What you do with a doily is purely up to you. You can frame it and hang it, wear it on your head, or place it on a table, or over the back of a chair.

I've been on a doily-making kick lately...last year I designed a doily for the first time and when my sister saw it, she thought they were perfect for placing under her African Violets...so I made her several...

I have the swan doily made from the Crochet Pattern A Day Calendar on our dining table with a candle in the middle...

I always think of them as very pretty spider webs and think of Charlotte from Charlotte's web...

I like the suggestion of a small collection of framed doilies on the wall...very nice...

I have a lot of colonial Silky Oak furniture. Doilies look fantastic on bare wood with a vase, or a candle hurricane, or collection of photographs on them. It is a traditional look, but very homey and one I feel exudes warmth.

I have also used them to decorate cushions.

Here I go telling this story for the 50000th time:

My husband's mom made him one when he was younger(as in young single man). He had sat a plant on it and over the course of time his watering the plant (pot leaked or he splashed whatever) it rotted the doily. He (brokenheartedly) told his mom a couple weeks before christmas one year and she made him another one for Christmas. It's a doily design that her mother had made and her mothers mother made etc so there is no pattern, at least that we are aware of.

Flash to today, he has held onto this one tight and still has it(no more plants lol); we are going to have it framed after I get the time to copy a pattern for it as he wants me to make one for his daughter and his sons.

I just finished two spectacular doilies (Patricia Kristoffersen is AMAZING) and I'm now making a circular felted purse. Then I'm going to sew the doilies onto the bag. Doilies are in metalic silver and lavender and the bag will be teal blue. Whoa...

So, there are an infinite number of things you can do with a doily other than put it underneath something!

Tracy

Yes, doilies are a lot more versatile than people think. :clap I made a gorgeous doily for my mom and had it framed and everyone loves it. I make small doilies into bun covers for my hair and large doilies into snoods. A doily tacked onto a throw pillow makes a nice decorative accent, or you can run a ribbon around the outside to make a pretty gift bag. Very small ones can be stiffened and worn as jewellry. You can use doilies of all sizes to decorate hats, coats, shirts, jackets, skirts, jeans, shoes, etc. You can drape them over the curtain rod for a quick valance, or put them on a shelf or mantle and leave part hanging over the edge. Speaking of mantles, doilies make lovely Christmas stocking trim. :hook

And you can put them on a table and put vases on them. :manyheart Hooray for doilies!

Hi, I've always used doilies not only to be decorative, but to protect my furniture from scratches. A lot of items you buy are not completely smooth on the bottom and can scratch very easily. Also, like said, it can protect from small amounts of moisture.

Archived