Unfortunate Object Lesson

goodie2shoes

Question

My lesson learned may it help someone else or

serve as an object lesson for others simple things

aren't always so simple.

I started a sweater I have been wanting to do, on paper it really looked simple sc back loops only. This is Easy right !!! Unfortunately in my case it wasn't!!!The construction also simple the bottom of the sweater is crocheted from the front around to the opposite side of the front one piece which ends up textured rows up and down from under the arms to the hem.

A simple rectangle. ok I can do this, I am crocheting along, the work is really fast and going easy, gee I can watch the Olympics on TV and do this!

I counted my beginning stitches, but wasn't paying real close attention in this pattern the last stitch in the row is really easy to miss and I did several times around 14" along I realize I am getting smaller !!!Yuck!!!:think I realize I must be missing that last stitch I frog it back to the point where I began to loose it, just an inch in from the edge.

I begin again only to achieve the same results, rats again, can't believe it when I already know what the problem is that I have repeated it, :eek Frog again. Only this time light bulb moment ok if that last stitch is so hard to find in the back loop only pattern, what if I don't back loop only in last stich, instead a regular sc thru both loops I tried this and problem solved, finally. Only took me all evening to figure it out arrrrgh!!!

Since each edge is either going to be joined or crocheted over it isn't even going to show and sure is keeping me from missing that last sc. The thing that gets me is why did it take me so long to figure out what worked for me, this is the sort of thing, isn't written in a pattern and maybe someone with much more experience would know this.

I just know now if anything calls for back loops only or front loops only on a piece of work I am not doing that in that last stitch in the row. I also know I learn by doing, mostly by doing it wrong the first time and this time I did it twice!!!!! Thank goodness this is in a heavy worsted yarn, and with a large hook. Well at least I am persistent. Unfortunately I am also persistent when I repeat errors!

So what lessons have you learned by doing or for that matter undoing????

9 answers to this question

Oh we all learning by undoing don't we?:)

My very first crochet project was a scarf and I had the same problem with ever narrowing shape! After many frogs I counted stitches every few rows...then I put a stitch marker in that first hard-to-see stitch.

Don't check gauge on the actual garment! Do a swatch! That is self expanatory I guess:lol I also measure as I go...just 'cause the gauge is right doesn't mean it will fit me.

Those are my two biggies...I try to think of all those frogs as "part of the journey" but man! It's hard not to cry over hard work for nothing!

I realized the importance of counting stitches when doing my first stuffed animal (Tigger). His head ended up looking to the side instead of straight ahead.

Now I count every 5 rows so I don't have that much to frog if I do something wrong. It also helps to write things down on the original pattern if you had to make changes or use a different size hook. That way is you want to duplicate it years from now, you'll remember what you did.

When I first started crocheting I learned the importance of reading a pattern all the way through before attempting the project. I would get so frustrated about half way through the project because I wouldn't understand part of the pattern. I kept saying things like, "this seemed so easy..." or "what in the world does that mean?!?" Now I read through the pattern a couple of times to make sure I won't get myself stuck again. ;)

Can Ya tell I hate counting, and for some reason this sc in the back loop sure does look different on that last stitch enough to really throw me off. I thought I was thru having this problem having solved it on other stitches by really watching that last stitch, I guess I do need to stop and count more, I hate counting the minute I count my darling husband speaks to me I never get the darn stuff counted the first time it takes me at least 3 time and using stitch markers I need some easier stitch markers , I guess I mean ones that are easier to move. I was looking at just bent off paper clips and thinking hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Most of my earrings are leverback style, and they make handy stitch markers. I tried using the fish hook style ones, but they didn't stay put, and could fall out of the work. Now, I can just reach up and take an earring out, pop it on a stitch, and keep on crocheting. I especially have found this handy when I was out stitching in public and needed to mark my place or a certain stitch -- just use an earring, and keep on going. Of course, this has meant I end up wandering around town wearing just one earring, looking very absent-minded, but I didn't really care. :lol

I have a few stitch markers made with this sort of earring finding, and plan to make some more markers with some of my beads, after I get some of the leverback findings. This way, I won't end up using my actual "I'm wearing these right now" earrings, unless I find myself in a pinch with no stitch markers handy. The leverbacks open and close easily, and can be worked with one hand if needed. The kind I use can be found here -- http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H151288FS

Lene'

Most of my earrings are leverback style, and they make handy stitch markers. I tried using the fish hook style ones, but they didn't stay put, and could fall out of the work. Now, I can just reach up and take an earring out, pop it on a stitch, and keep on crocheting. I especially have found this handy when I was out stitching in public and needed to mark my place or a certain stitch -- just use an earring, and keep on going. Of course, this has meant I end up wandering around town wearing just one earring, looking very absent-minded, but I didn't really care. :lol

I have a few stitch markers made with this sort of earring finding, and plan to make some more markers with some of my beads, after I get some of the leverback findings. This way, I won't end up using my actual "I'm wearing these right now" earrings, unless I find myself in a pinch with no stitch markers handy. The leverbacks open and close easily, and can be worked with one hand if needed. The kind I use can be found here -- http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H151288FS

Lene'

Thanks for the link I did try the fish hook type too, with the same results

the things that fit in easy and I don't have to fumble with of course don't stay in and the ones that fasten often don't come out easy when I want to move or remove them...............I have a girl friend that makes jewlery hmmmmmmm and we always borrow back and forth, will have to check her stash for leverbacks. I had to laugh about the one earring thing, I used to be on the

phone alot when I worked (I am now retired grandma lady) and usually I walked around with one earring in.

Archived