Differece between a shurg and bolero?

Just wondering what the difference is between a shrug and a bolero is. I have been looking at patterns for both and don't see much of a difference between the two.

Guess I'm feeling a little :blush about it, but what am I not seeing?

I know what you mean! Very similar and I think the terms are often used interchangably.

Right now I am making the Penina jacket in Cool Crochet which is a bolero. It constructed like a jacket: back, right front, left front and sleeves. In my own mind (such as it is!) I think of a shrug as being constructed in one piece.

The difference, as I understand it, (although some don't seem to follow this either), is that a bolero is a short jacket that usually has a clasp or closure in the front. It can have short or long sleeves but usually comes at or below the waist.

http://www.supereggplant.com/archives/bolero.JPG

http://www.calypso-celle.com/details/images/nicole-bolero.jpg

A shrug (as the name suggests) is a jacket that only covers the shoulders. It is often long-sleeved, but can be short. There is usually no closure, or a simple clasp or tie in the front, leaving the front of the body mainly exposed.

http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit06062005/shrug_gap.jpg

http://www.wetseal.com/Product/35270171290.jpg

They are very similar, but the construction is often very different.

Does that help?

When they first came out, shrugs were only sleeves, like so. Or this. How the current bolero-jacket type things became referred to as shrugs is beyond me, but then again I'm not entirely sure how shrugs have managed to cycle back into fashion after only five or six years rather than the usual 10 or more!

Since I seem to be the only one who remembers the previous shrug fad (although I did not partake; shrugs make about as much sense to me as do fingerless gloves), I also seem to be the only one shaking her head over calling a bolero jacket--which is what a cropped jacket that ends above the waist used to be called--a shrug.

When they first came out, shrugs were only sleeves, like so. Or this. How the current bolero-jacket type things became referred to as shrugs is beyond me, but then again I'm not entirely sure how shrugs have managed to cycle back into fashion after only five or six years rather than the usual 10 or more!

Since I seem to be the only one who remembers the previous shrug fad (although I did not partake; shrugs make about as much sense to me as do fingerless gloves), I also seem to be the only one shaking her head over calling a bolero jacket--which is what a cropped jacket that ends above the waist used to be called--a shrug.

Now see, I like fingerless gloves. Many times my hands get really cold but I still need to be able to type and such so the fingerless gloves allow me to do my work and still get warm at the same time...

I think it's all what people's preferances are.

The current version of shrugs that came out a few years or so ago were sleeves only, however, shrugs actually have been around alot longer...they are not a "new" thing...the very first time I ever heard of a shrug was over 15 years ago and they were made out of fabric, drapey in the back...that was a shrug to me...so when I read in People magazine about a lady who was making the sleeves only shrug via knitting, I was like,"that's not a shrug..." but obviously it is...I just made a vintaged pattern shrug a week ago and it was alot like the shrugs I used to knit...drapey in the back...a shawl with sleeves basically.

In my mind, a shrug is one piece (rectangle or square) folded, stitched just so much to make sleeves and that's it...

A bolero jacket is a jacket that hits about the waist area (although, it can be shorter, just under the breasts) but it's constructed with an actual back, two front pieces, and two sleeve pieces (at least in sewing...in knitting and crocheting, you could conceivable get creative and work all that up in one piece and sew the sleeves and sides down...)

15/20 years ago I used to sew shrugs...

I remember shrugs as a child back in the 50's. They were mostly short sleeved and had a bit more than just the sleeves. They looked like they were a folded circle/triangle thingy. The ones I remember my friends wearing had rolled collars.

Archived