cutting edge magazine

irish_leeny

I saw this magazine for the first time this weekend...at Borders. This magazine is really cool because it has really chic sewing, knitting AND crochet patterns...quite a few for the hook, actually! I'm not sure how long it's been around, but you should all check it out! It's published by Hancock Fabrics.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/jump.jsp?itemID=22883&itemType=PRODUCT

well, several of us made the shrug from the first issue and it was a bit of a nightmare. the pattern was wrong, and would maybe have fit someone who weighed 90 pounds and was flat-chested. I'm small, and I added rows and it still doesn't fit. And it seems that all the crochet patterns are designed by the same lady. I loved the way this pattern looked in the picture, but the pattern was just way off.

well, several of us made the shrug from the first issue and it was a bit of a nightmare. the pattern was wrong, and would maybe have fit someone who weighed 90 pounds and was flat-chested. I'm small, and I added rows and it still doesn't fit. And it seems that all the crochet patterns are designed by the same lady. I loved the way this pattern looked in the picture, but the pattern was just way off.

I was wondering if you ever got that figured out, to bad cause I really wanted to make it!

I agree this is a great magzine - it had one issue before that one ( think it was around thanksgiving) so Im gonna go look for this issue first thing tomorrow 0 its waay cool!

Okay, I'm confused. :think I had to pull my copy out to verify this, but the Cutting Edge magazine I'm looking at (which is the one I bought recently), which I think is the same one irish is referring to, says it's the premier issue, Winter 2005. Or is there a new one? If this is the one you are referring to, what was the problem with the shrugs (I saw two shrug patterns in here, plus a shawl pattern, pictured on the front cover). If there's another thread about this, could you provide a link, please? I probably missed it. I was planning to make these shrugs, might be helpful to know about this stuff in advance! Thx.

Yes, the shrug I made was from the premiere issue. The green one with the Lion brand Thick and Quick. The shrug is way too short. There should have been a repeat of rows 2 and 3 or something like that. And you don't know it's too short until you're done. If your flat chested, it's fine, but if you're not, the bottom of the shrug comes right across your boob. Also, just my preference, but that yarn is way too thick to wear as a sweater. I can't even get my jacket sleeves over it. Maybe something to wear on a day when you don't need a jacket. All I'm saying is I frogged it twice, and I'm still not happy with it.

I guess I am lucky because they are soon opening a Hancock Fabrics store in my old Michael's store location. So When they open, I will go looking for that magazine. They are busy bringing in fabrics and other things, so it should open soon.

The magazine may have projects I want to do. I am always looking for ideas.:think

And having the store nearby is a bonus.

Linda:manyheart

For the person who asked, the Spring 2006 issue is out already. The front cover has a floral cabinet thing on the front.

I did see the first issue, and am glad I did not buy it. I didn't see enough in that magazine (and I do sew) to warrant the purchase. I did however get this issue not even knowing there was crochet stuff in it. Some of the crocheted items are a bit off beat for me, but I might find a way to use them for other purposes some day.

i just found the winter issue at hastings and started on the green shrug last night. well i am hoping that it will fit..... i really like it, if anyone has anymore advice on how to fix it that would be great. i am crocheting it pretty loosely so maybe that will help. i can't wait to find the spring issue. i love the retro designs, i was so excited to find it.

Archived