Lap Blankets for 120 members at our Nursing home (CLOSED)

sissie44

Hello everyone,

I found a nursing home here in Martinsburg WV where I live, and it is on my mind to make all the people that have to live there a lap blanket or quilt for christmas this year!!

can some one tell me about what size is good for a simple Lap blanket? and can they be made with 12 inch squares or would that be a wrong size?

Wow, what an ambitious project! :cheer Go you!

I've never made a lap-ghan before, but this would be my suggestion: measure yourself or an obliging friend to get an approximate idea of what it would take to cover a lap. Then you can judge for yourself.

Would you need squares contributed? I am fairly new to crochet, but I might be able to help out if you want something simple. :hook

Good luck!

hi, i've got a partially finished lapghan (it fits my lap) if you want it. i'm gonna finish it as soon as i get done with the crochet olympics. and after 2 squares for mr. dude. or did you want to do all 120 yourself? that sounds like a monumental task.:eek

dazy

I work with several charities that use 12" squares for lapghans and I think the general size is 12-15. And they get a bit bigger if you use something like the flat braid joining technique (IMO it's a lot faster to do that and the squares lay flatter, even if they aren't exactly the same size).

Hope that helps.

hi, i've got a partially finished lapghan (it fits my lap) if you want it. i'm gonna finish it as soon as i get done with the crochet olympics. and after 2 squares for mr. dude. or did you want to do all 120 yourself? that sounds like a monumental task.:eek

dazy

NO WAY THAT I CAN DO ALL ALONE!!! I would love to have help when you can. I have till Dec to get them done. not sure why this is on my mind thinking that they really NEED these!!

so does everyone think that using 12" squares and doing 4 down & 3 across be ok or should they be 4 x 4?

Please remember if you want to send any squares to put your tag on it with name and state for them to see where all the love is coming from!!

not sure why this is on my mind thinking that they really NEED these!!

maybe because everybody needs to feel special. especially older folks that need a little lift in their spirits. you're doing a wonderful thing.:hug

since you aren't in a rush, i'll get you a lapghan made and maybe a square or two and send them out between other things i'm doing.

When I make lap robes, I make them 36" square. What I do is to give a few to the nursing home, and then different people use them on different days. If you give them to individuals, make sure their names are on them clearly. Plus it helps if you tell the staff what you are doing. My mom's personal lap robe was on someone else one day when I visited, even though it was marked with her name.

• 2 weeks later...

Sissie,

There is a way to make a lap cover for each resident that wouldn't be too hard. You could make the covers out of fleece, just cut the outer edge of each fleece square to fringe, and add a crocheted heart, butterfly, rose, or other decoration. The fringed blankets they show in the fabric departments are two thicknesses, but that is not necessary. One thickness would do.

Fleece isn't cheap, but this would actually cost less than if you crocheted the coverlets. Except, of course, if you used donated yarn.

Archived