Please explain yarns:

cupcake

Question

Can someone please explain to me what the following yarns are:

• Worsted weight yarn. Is that 8 ply or double knit?
  • Sports yarn
  • Sugar and cream. Is this cotton, or wool and what ply?
  • Baby sports.

Many thanks as this is driving me nuts as the terms are different.

4 answers to this question

worsted is equivalent to 8ply or double knit, sports i think is what we used to call 7ply but coud be 5ply now, sugar and cream is like 4ply knitting cotton here and baby sports well i'm not 100% but is our baby wool. That wool can be 2ply or 3ply. Hope this helps a bit i am in Toowoomba if you ever want help pm me and i will give you my email ok. My rule of thumb is go by the size of the hook given to work out the wool equivalent and if in doubt make a swatch till you get the right tension/gauge ok.

I will be really interested to see the replies on this one. I think that worsted weight is actually more than our 8ply, I reckon it is about 10ply, but I could be wrong. It says on the band to use a 5mm hook. Just have to wait and see!

from another Aussie. Here is a good link from Crochet Australia that explains it all. For example, Red Heart Soft Baby is 3 Ply. But here in Australia it is 8 Ply. Anywho this link should help not just us Aussies but others as well. By the way, Spotlight have got even more wool in stock now. The red Heart has some pretty crappy colours but are getting more in.

here is the link

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/webcontent3.htm

Archived