Next question...

werecat

Question

Ok, pattern refers to right and wrong sides of each piece. The thing is done completely in single crochet... Ok, I bite. how do you tell the right side from the wrong side in single crochet? do you just mark one side with a marker and deside "ok, this is the right side?"

11 answers to this question

Well, patterns usually say something like "mark row X as right side," but to be quite honest I just look at the finishe piece and call whichever side looks nicer to me the "right" side. Having compared my work to photos in books, it seems that I much prefer the wrong side. :lol

:think Generally the first row you do is the right side facing so if you remember that the tail from the start of you work is at the end of row 1, it will always be on the left when the right side is facing, unless you crochet lefthanded where it will be on the right.

:think If a pattern says to end with a wrong side row, that means the next row is going to be started with the right side facing.

:think This instruction is usually given when you are working to a measurement rather than a number of repeats.

:think It makes sure you start the next bit on the proper row as for a new part of the pattern.

:think When you are working in the round, the right side is always facing you.

Hope this is helpful.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

So basically, I want to make sure I end on an even row number?

Not necessarily. You will need to refer to your pattern to see which row begins the right side. I have had patterns where row 2 is the right side. If you could share the part of the pattern that refers to the right/wrong side, we could probably help you a little more.

Also most/but not all patterns will have you end with a wrong side row before doing the neck or arm hole shaping. It really does depend on what the patterns says. Sorry I couldn't be more definitive in my answer, but as all patterns vary, you may need to end on either an even or odd row.

If the pattern says that row 1 is the right side, then yes, you would want to end on an even row.

section of pattern with the references to [ws]

BACK

Next Row: Sl st in first 9 sts, ch 1 sc in same st as sl st, Pattern to last 8 sts; turn, leaving rem sts unworked 77 sts. Work even in Pattern until armhole measures approx 11.5â€, ending with a WS row. Fasten off.

LEFT FRONT

Ch 60, Work foundation Row as for Back--59 sts. Rep Rows 1-2 as for Back until work from beg measures approx 18.5â€, ending with a WS row.

Next Row (RS): Pattern to last 2 sts, sc2 tog over last 2 sts; turn. Rep last 4 rows 3 times more-- 37 sts. Work even in Pattern until armhole measures approx 11.5â€, ending with a WS row. Fasten off.****

RIGHT FRONT

Work as for Left Front until work from beg measures approx 18.5â€, ending with a RS row Work from **** to ***** as for Left Front, noting that RS becomes WS and WS becomes RS to reverse shaping.

SLEVES (MAKE 2)

Rows 2-3: Work even in Pattern. Rep last 3 rows until there are 89 sts. Work even in Pattern until work from bottom of sleeve measures approx 21â€; ending with a WS row. Place markers 2.5 “ down from last row along sides of Sleeve.

I am all excited to begin this as soon as I can afford the yarn. I found some really beautiful 100% wool that I can afford to make it up in even and I don't want to botch it all up.

See the notations in red. If you have any questions, just IM, PM or email me. Your pattern starts with a Foundation Row as the right side, which means all of your even numbered rows are the right side. With a pattern like this, where you are going by measurements, the only rule of thumb is to be consistent. If you do a row 2, measure and are where you need to be, then go ahead and do your row 1 in addition to the measurement. Just be sure that you do this method on all of the pieces. You can also decide to stop just short of the correct measurement, but again repeat for all measurements, where you are directed which side to end with. It would also be a good idea to count your rows on the front panels and the sleeves, so that you can be sure that the second piece matches the first. Good luck

BACK

Rep Rows 1-2 for Pattern. Cont in Pattern until work form beg measures approx 22†end with a WS row. Work Rows 1-2 until it measures 22" ending with row 1.

Armhole Shaping

Next Row: Sl st in first 9 sts, ch 1 sc in same st as sl st, Pattern to last 8 sts; turn, leaving rem sts unworked 77 sts. Work even in Pattern until armhole measures approx 11.5â€, ending with a WS row. Continue working Row 1-2 without decreases until it measures 11.5" from the armhole row, end with a Row 1. Fasten off.

LEFT FRONT

Ch 60, Work foundation Row as for Back--59 sts. Rep Rows 1-2 as for Back until work from beg measures approx 18.5â€, ending with a WS row. End with a Row 1.

Next Row (RS): Pattern to last 2 sts, sc2 tog over last 2 sts; turn. Rep last 4 rows 3 times more-- 37 sts. Work even in Pattern until armhole measures approx 11.5â€, ending with a WS row . Same as back, repeat row 1-2 without decreases until it measures 11.5" from the first armhole row, end with a row 1. Fasten off.****

RIGHT FRONT

Work as for Left Front until work from beg measures approx 18.5â€, ending with a RS row Work from **** to ***** as for Left Front, noting that RS becomes WS and WS becomes RS to reverse shaping. Work identical to the Left Front and ignor this, since logically you would have to have one flipped for the opposite side. This set of instructions is just there to cause confusion for the beginner. There are some patterns where you reverse the shaping, but this pattern is not one of those.

SLEVES (MAKE 2)

Rows 2-3: Work even in Pattern. Rep last 3 rows until there are 89 sts. Work even in Pattern until work from bottom of sleeve measures approx 21â€; ending with a WS row. End with Row 1. Place markers 2.5 “ down from last row along sides of Sleeve.

Shape Top

Sl st in first 6 sts, ch 1 Pattern to last 5 sts; turn, leaving last 5 sts unworked. Rep last row 3 times more---39 sts. Faster off.

:think Remember that the Foundation row is the right side facing.

:think When it says finish with a wrong side row, it means just that, your last row will be the wrong side and the next row will be with the right side facing.

:think If the right side facing is row 1, when you finish the wrong side facing row, you will have an even number of rows.

:think As the pattern says, when you are doing the opposite pieces of your garment, you will do either one more or one less row so the shaping will be reversed so read wrong side as right side and vice-versa.

:think All the rest will make sense as you do the work.

:think You are maybe worrying about things before you get to them and it is hard to visualise what the pattern means.

:hook I am an oldie who has had many years experience but I would find it confusing trying to understand the instuctions without doing it.

When you get o the part in the pattern which says "Ending with a WS row" it will be obvious, trust me.

:cheer As Nike say, "Just do it!"

:think If you have any problems, ask again then and we can help.

Relax and have fun.

Colleen

Here is my simple way of knowing right side from wrong side. The right side the tail from the single chain is on the left side. I am right handed.

So, that is how I know and so far this method hasn't failed me.

Thanks ladies! I really appreciate this. I have also found out that there is a crochet and knitting group that meets at the local library on saturdays so I'm probably going to be joining them as well and will be picking their brains as well. from what I understand there are all skill levels and all ages. a boy of 11 on up. :)

Archived