Felting with novelty yarn?

donnalynn2

Ok, I was thinking about doing this tote I'm making with a neat trim on top. I was thinking I would hold 1 strand of wool and another strand of a novelty yarn of some type, probably in black as well.

My question is: after felting, will the novelty yarn stay stichted? Will is kind of bulge out? I'd like it to kind of be noticeable but wasn't sure if it was ok to combine wool and another yarn when trying to felt.

I mean, I know the novelty yarn isn't going to felt but that's ok. Any suggestions would be great! THANKS!

Hi Donna, I worked some felted items in December using a strand of wool held together with a strand of Fun Fur and they came out great! The fun fur becomes very soft and really does look like fur afterwards.

The best suggestion I could give you is to work a 10X10 swatch using the yarns you are proposing and see if it turns out the way that you'd like it to.

HTH!

:bounce

Thanks Dude! That's what I was hoping the effect would be!!!! I'm thinking of using one of those novelty yarns that are kind of "pebbly" I don't know the actual name but I was thinking it would create a neat effect!

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for sharing the link with the heart! WOW! I'm gonna have to try that!!

Well tonite I picked up a skein of Lion Brand Fancy Fur which is fun fur with little color bobbles mixed in. I'm going to give it a try. It will add a little more color to the bag!

Thanks for the help on this! I'll post pics this weekend as I have to have it done by Saturday for when I go to HL to get people to sign up!

I have felted with alot of different novelty yarns, mostly as hat band trim. Depending on the yarn you get different results. So far I have liked all of them. For me it was trial and error. Some you like better than others, but it is always fun to see how they felt! Have fun with it!

My question is: after felting, will the novelty yarn stay stichted? Will is kind of bulge out? I'd like it to kind of be noticeable but wasn't sure if it was ok to combine wool and another yarn when trying to felt.

This might give you an idea of how it'll turn out.

I think if you just do one row of eyelash yarn, it will look great. I've tried combining different yarns. What I did was instead of just doing a swatch, I've made eyeglass cases. They are small and work up really quickly... and I can use them. I did one with that nepalese multi-colored silk yarn. It came out OK but it did sort of bulge out a little larger than the wool... I just turned the top over and made it into a cuff, and it looks great that way. I tried using that same silk yarn as stripes in the middle of a bag, and it was a disaster... it sort of bulged out in a not very appealing way.

I am working on a plain black bag that I plan to top with some fun fur... will let you know how it turns out.

Archived