Crochet Guild of America--worth it?

The Crochet Guild of America...is it worth it? :thinkI've read the page they have and can't decide if i should join or not... you ladies and gents that have, have you been satisfied? Do you belong to local chapters as well? If so, do the locals cost money too? what do you do at meetings?

I quess it all depends on why you join, For me I joined to help support crochet as whole. The Guild is active in getting Crochet out and seen. They go to and are active in most of the fiber trade shows, conferences and other activies that we should be represented at. They are developing a pattern line that they are presenting to different yarn and craft orientated shops across the country.

What I get out it is the Crochet magazine when it comes out, that is part of your membership, I can borrow patterns though I haven't, You can buy their patterns for half price as member. I get the satisfaction that I am supporting my passion in a tangible means. The cost of the membership is less than a good dinner out. I don't feel that is all that much for the satisfaction for doing something positive towards the growth of crochet in America.

We all have to decide for ourselves the value of anything. What is important to me might not be important to you. But for me sometimes the intangibles are as important as the tangible things in life.

What katchkan said. I joined because it just made me personally feel like I was taking the craft seriously. I also joined because of the correspondance courses offered which I haven't yet taken, but I will eventually. I love the Crochet! magazine, that by itself is worth the admission to the Guild. While I spend most of my "crochet on the internet" time here at Crochetville, it's nice to know that if I need another good source that will have answers to my crochet questions, it's through the Guild...and that I'm a member.

Ten years ago, no it may not have been worth it to me to join the Guild...but then even though I crocheted alot back then, I was very much into my own thing...the big difference now is that I'm ready to be open to learning as much as I can about crocheting...it will come full circle for me down the road.

Thanks, all! I wanted to make sure that people didn't think it was a waste of money and the organization didn't offer anything in return. I talked to the hubby about it and he thinks its a go. You're right, 35$ isn't very much if it means furthering hte craft.

I've been thinking about joining, too. Has anyone had any success with their library? I was especially intrigued by that.

The point of supporting the art of crochet appeals to me, but I need to have some value for my money, too.

Archived