Can someone Please help me?

Amma

Question

G'Day,

My sister-in-law absolutly LOVES Tweety Bird and she bought a pattern for a Tweety Afghan on eBay, or so she thought..........

As it turns out, it is a graph.......she has sent it to me in hopes that I will be able to crochet an afghan for her. I have never crocheted anything by using a graph and have NO IDEA if I can do it! I really want to make this afghan for her, as she is one of the most important people in my life, but I need some help here....I sure hope that one of you kind souls will be able to come to my rescue!

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!~!~!~!~!~!

Thank you!

I have posted the graph and picture on my blog: http://ammascrochetingandnatterings.blogspot.com/

8 answers to this question

One of the most important investments you can make before starting a graph ghan is to buy some yarn bobbin and/or yarn daisies. If you can find large yarn bobbins, I recommend those over the daisies, but get what you can find and wind the different colors onto them. The bobbins are made in such a way, that you can control the amount of yarn you have to work with. And they are small and are easy to keep from tangling as you alternate colors.

Also I found that when working with light and dark colors that you couldn't really carry the yarn under stitches (even 3, as some guides suggest and recommend) without it showing. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I liked having a separate bobbin for every color change.

If you wind the yarn into balls or try to work from the skein (other than for the background color) you will spend alot of time untangling the yarn and keeping it from tangling. On this sweater I had as many as 8 bobbins going at one time. If you carry the color for short color changes you would have less, but as I said previously, I didn't like the look of it.

Good luck and remember it isn't as hard as it looks.

This is actually VERY easy if you cross-stitch. The instructions they gave you don't give you any details at all! No wonder you got confused.

The directions are telling you that you can use either of those stitches-SC, DC, afghan, tapestry- to make the actual afghan.

Ch 151 and sc in each stitch making enough rows until the afghan measures what the pattern calls for.

Then do counted cross-stitch for Tweety right onto the afghan. Each sc counts as one square for cross stitch.

Making the afghan is tedious and boring for me because it is just one stitch over and over and over and ... you get the point.

I don't cross stitch so at that point I hand the afghan to my daughter-in-law who cross-stitches beautifully. It's always a family project when I make this type of afghan. We have only done two.

Hope this helps.

Zella

One of the most important investments you can make before starting a graph ghan is to buy some yarn bobbin and/or yarn daisies.

(snip)

If you wind the yarn into balls or try to work from the skein (other than for the background color) you will spend alot of time untangling the yarn and keeping it from tangling..

I couldn't agree more. If you can't find any bobbins, you can make yarn butterfly bobbins that pull from the inside. I learned how from the 2nd comment at this blog post . They were a life saver when I made this sweater

Good Luck!

I have the same booklet and planned on cross-stitching Tweety on it, but I found it rather awkward to cross-stitch on an afghan. For one thing you can't get any normal loom over it to tighten the area you're working on and it's hard to see what you're doing. I plan on making another one where I'll actually stitch Tweety on it as I make it. It's a little bit more involved but I think it'll look better in the long run.

I agree you'll need bobbins to wrap your yarn around or you'll have a mess. Good luck with it!

I have made quite a few graph afaghans and What I do is I write it all out like this for ex. I choise my background color and call it mc(main color) then design color such as Y for (yellow) B for (blue )BL for (black) then I write mc for 6 rows

2. 36 mc 10 y 36 mc

3 36 mc 10 y 36 mc

and so on up the graph remember that when doing a graph all odd numbers you count from right to left and all even number rows read left to right hope this hrlps

Amma, there's also a thread right on the forum that has some good tips for working from graphs: click here and good luck with your project!

Archived