Hook conversion question

unipeg

I know I've seen a thread on this subject but for some reason I just can't find it. A woman I work with is going to make a baby sweater that she found in a crochet magazine from 1964 in Switzerland. It has instruction for two different weights of yarn, one of them is sport but I can't remember the other one. The hook sizes it says to use is a 5 or a 7 depending on the yarn you are going to use. I found a conversion for the 5 but not for the 7. Does anyone have any ideas?:think Thanks bunches.:manyheart

I would say go up a hook size, maybe two from whatever the conversion for the five is. I usually use a D hook when I make my booties and my dresses. Hat's I usually use an E (just cause my grandkids got big heads) lol!:hook

Oh dear, this is not going to help much, but my G hook here in Belgium is a 4.25 MM hook and is listed as a 6....my H hook is 5.00 MM and is listed as an 8. So I would assume that the 7 hook is a 4.5mm or a 4.75mm! :think I think that Susan Bates makes a 4.5 hook.

Oddly, when they converted to letters, they left 7 out. The sized go: G, 7, H. Messed up.

I still haven't found a 7 hook for my collection... I can't get one at work, I know that. *sigh*

I'd say, if you're a tight crocheter, go with an H. If you're a loose crocheter, go with the G. If you're bang on target, like me, join me over here in the pity corner. LOL!

Thank you all for your suggestions and links, I will let her know. Although she is not a crocheter, she makes quilts, so I'll probably end up making it for her.:hook Thanks again.....:manyheart

Oddly, when they converted to letters, they left 7 out. The sized go: G, 7, H. Messed up.

I still haven't found a 7 hook for my collection... I can't get one at work, I know that. *sigh*

I'd say, if you're a tight crocheter, go with an H. If you're a loose crocheter, go with the G. If you're bang on target, like me, join me over here in the pity corner. LOL!

You can get one... Brittany makes a 7. I got one on Ebay... :cheer

Yeah, I figured I could get one somewhere like eBay... I admit, I haven't looked very hard yet. LOL!

They annoying part is, I teach crochet at Jo-Ann's (where I work, duh), and we have project sheets that come in allll the time that call for a 7, but we don't SELL a 7. How dumb is that?!

A 7 hook is metric. It pretty much corresponds with a G, but it's slightly larger. I just bought a set of Clover bamboo hooks and the one that's supposed to be a G is really a 7. I'm not half bad at crochet, but if I get good enough that I can tell the difference, well, I'll be a genius!

Tracy

You can get a 7 in Aero brand (sort of like Boye, definitely closer to Hero). I bought mine from Canada from this site:

http://www.yarnforward.com/hooks.html

If the magazine is from Switzerland, are the instructions using UK or US definitions of the stitches?

I know I've seen a thread on this subject but for some reason I just can't find it. A woman I work with is going to make a baby sweater that she found in a crochet magazine from 1964 in Switzerland. It has instruction for two different weights of yarn, one of them is sport but I can't remember the other one. The hook sizes it says to use is a 5 or a 7 depending on the yarn you are going to use. I found a conversion for the 5 but not for the 7. Does anyone have any ideas?:think Thanks bunches.:manyheart

I have a size 7 hook. It's a Addie which is distributed in the US by Sackel. The yarn store marked it as a F or a G hook (I forget wich now), but I always go by mm not by letter, and it's a size 7 hook.

I had to wait until I got back to work since I forgot to bring the pattern home with me:blush . They are US definitions for the pattern, but not the hook size. Plus, the person who wants this bought a worsted weight yarn and not a baby or sport weight like the pattern calls for, I told her the sweater may turn out a little bigger than if I used the recommended yarn. But we know how babies grow!:hook

If the magazine is from Switzerland, are the instructions using UK or US definitions of the stitches?

If that is so couldn't you make a swatch or 2 with different size hooks in different size yarns and work it out that way? If i have a pattern from the US and i don't know what kind of wool here is the equivalent thats how i work it out so surely it would work for hook size to. Worsted is equivalent to our 8 ply so i would use a 4.50 and 5.00 mm hooks mostly.

I started the sweater with the G hook which I believe is the 5mm, when I checked my gage it was the gage for the 7:shrug . The stitches aren excessively loose as I'm usually a tight crocheter, but I'm going to work with it and the person I'm making it for. As I show her the work, if she thinks the sweater looks to be the correct size then I'll go with the G. Otherwise I'll have to take it apart and start over.:think

If that is so couldn't you make a swatch or 2 with different size hooks in different size yarns and work it out that way? If i have a pattern from the US and i don't know what kind of wool here is the equivalent thats how i work it out so surely it would work for hook size to. Worsted is equivalent to our 8 ply so i would use a 4.50 and 5.00 mm hooks mostly.

Archived