A Tapered Hook

jimbo

th_taperedhook.jpg

I've been thinking about making a tapered hook for a while now, for folks who do one-off art wall hangings and the like. The thinking is that the taper from the hook (which is about an L) to the grip pads (which is about a Q) will allow the hooker an option for selecting loop size without necessitating changing hooks, simply by sliding the loop back toward the grip (for a larger loop) or holding it toward the hook end (for a smaller loop). I also made the neck oval instead of round.. another experiment.

I posted a query about this kind of hook a while back but didn't have a prototype.. now that you can see it (albeit a fuzzy photo), i'm hoping for comments from you artsy type hookers about whether this idea is stoopid or not.

first off .. its beautiful but with out having in my hands i cant tell you if it works like you think it should.. i would say it would... looks like it would in theory .

Thanks Three. Maybe i otta send it around to a few of you hugely talented folk for some test runs eh? You interested? I'd really like to see what it can do (if it works). And would you mind sharing it with some others, who perhaps might like to take it out for a spin?

Primitive rug making???? OOOOH i'm intrigued!!

And you use a small hook for such work? Got any pictures?

And might you be one of those others i mentioned to Three who might like to borrow the hook for a little test run? I'm in need for some evaluation.

I am with ya Elizabeth, It's beautiful but I cannot tell you if it would work unless I had it in my fat little hands working with it.;)

maybe i should send it on a little circuit of volunteer testers to see if it's a worthwhile thing to persue further? Anyone game?

Okey dokey, Pink... you're there!

BTW for any others who might have an interest... I tried to generally make the hook generic as to grip style, but it seems a bit prejudiced toward the toothbrush grippers. But if you use it, remember the issue isn't so much the grip this time... its more how it works for free style crochet.

Would love to test a hook for you. No pictures yet since I just recently bought a digital camera & still a bit intimidated by it. Spent a good part of the weekend on-line looking a rug hooks to suit my purpose with no luck. Thought about making one for myself, but am better off staying away from sharp objects :)

Alosha

I'd happily test the hook for you too - I am about to start making a rug out of old jeans (nicked that idea off someone else's post and was just going to use my superlarge hook of 15mm) - I am in the UK though so that might be a bit of a bother to send it.... ;-)

Archived