Showing off - Hooks

Yarn Duck

A recent post about old crochet hooks got me to pull out my hook stash. I love garage and estate sales and a while back I bought a Singer Sewing Cabinet full of all sorts of things including some really neat older hooks. Thought I would share.

This is a size 10 Hero Hook. Are Hero hooks even made anymore?

HeroHook.jpg

This is marked ""Boye" F SAME AS SIZE 3 OR 4 U.S.A. - 10 cents".

Yes, this little bright yellow plastic hook costs 10 cents!

TenCentHook.jpg

And the grand finale are these Susan Bates hooks in sizes 2, 4 and 5. They are color coded on the top. The 2 is yellow, the 4 is green and the 5 is blue. I strongly suspect that these hooks are made from bone.

BoneHooks.jpg

I've never actually used these hooks but they are among some of my most prized crochet items.

So do you have any unusual crochet accessories?

I have a couple steel hooks which my husbands' great aunt (she's 93 now) gave me when she couldn't see any more. One is a 13!! It is so tiny that it came with a steel cap, which someone (I'm not naming any names but it's one of my kids) lost since then. That's about the only thing I've gotten crochet wise. I got some thimbles from my Grandma, but they're not really that great to me.

The bone hooks look really neat, I wouldn't want to use them either. Maybe you can find a special display case for all of them.

Tina

A recent post about old crochet hooks got me to pull out my hook stash. I love garage and estate sales and a while back I bought a Singer Sewing Cabinet full of all sorts of things including some really neat older hooks. Thought I would share.

This is a size 10 Hero Hook. Are Hero hooks even made anymore?

HeroHook.jpg

This is marked ""Boye" F SAME AS SIZE 3 OR 4 U.S.A. - 10 cents".

Yes, this little bright yellow plastic hook costs 10 cents!

TenCentHook.jpg

And the grand finale are these Susan Bates hooks in sizes 2, 4 and 5. They are color coded on the top. The 2 is yellow, the 4 is green and the 5 is blue. I strongly suspect that these hooks are made from bone.

BoneHooks.jpg

I've never actually used these hooks but they are among some of my most prized crochet items.

So do you have any unusual crochet accessories?

Julie,

You do indeed have some treasures:cheer . If you will tell me whether the Hero hook is made in Germany or the US I can possibly date it for you. The yellow Boye dates from the late 50"s to early 60's. It was after WWII that manufacturers raised the prices on there hooks.

The Susan Bates hooks are indeed bone. If they are marked Susan Bates then they date somewhere between the late 40's to late 50's.

Hope you enjoy your find and if you need help with how to care for your hooks, let me know:hook .

Archived