Graph Afghans

I have an idea....

Our local school mascot is the seadog.

I would like to do a graph of our mascot and make it into an afghan. Since I've never done a graph afghan (except for filet), I thought I would do a pillow first. Here is the picture I want to use: http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/bes/images/lfsvr.jpg

Any thoughts or tips?

Hi Melissa,

I am sure there is a site where you can have that made into a graph.

If you are not in a big hurry, I will pm you with an idea. It may take a couple of days.

By the way, if you have done an afghan in filet, a graph one will be a cinch.:hook

Hi 'Miss Melissa' ! Veronica says 'hi' too. I think if you could get it onto graph paper and color it in you could see how it goes. Maybe Capps (the local printer for you guys not from the area) could enlarge a picture for you, possibly even onto graph paper. Then just do one stitch per square, changing colors as needed. Kmart sells yarn bobs to keep small amounts wound up when changing frequently. I just picked some up to work on squares I need to work a picture of a truck in.

If you need more help Melissa, PM me and we can get together sometime and toss around ideas for it.

When do you need it by? I've done a few graphs and would be willing to work on it if I could have about a week. Let me know and I'll see what I can do. Also, how comfortable are you with color changes and is there a particular number of color changes you would like to try to stay under? How big would you like the graph to be? Normally pillows are between 60X60 to 80X80.

Don’t know if this is a help (clickable)

I think I graphed this to a 90 by 120 afghan size

Tampa Doll could explain better

This is great!!!

Thank you so much. I am going to give it a try! I'll post a picture when it's finished (don't know when that will be). You so kind to do this.

How do you adjust the graphs to make up for sc being not quite the same gauge lengthwise and crosswise?

I am not quite sure what you are asking. On the graph each square is one sc. If you want to make it larger, you add sc's at the bottom & top or each side, or all 4 places.

If you look at the graph above, the blue is the original size, there were squares add to top, bottom, and each side.

I hope that is what you were looking for.:hook

I think what Salos was asking was the actual finished size of the project? ...so if it's 60x60 graph, it will actually be wider than it is tall when it's all said and done based on the squat-ness of the sc, right? :think

I've not done a true graph afghan yet (I've done a modified one with 3 dc for each square)... anyways, I think I read that some choose do to a hdc instead of a sc because that's just a bit longer and makes it more "square"...

OH! here's the link http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16763 for help on graph afghans.

Hope this helps!

~K

Right. I was thinking that sc's aren't exactly the same width & height. So a project that was 100 sc's wide and 100 rows long wouldn't be square. And the picture would change shape some also. Can you tell I'm one of those dreadful picky people? :waving

Ok, the way it works is with an H hook it is 5 sc = 1 inch and 4 rows = 1 inch.

A lot of it also depends on how tight and how lose you crochet.

I do not know of any way to make a perfect square.

The only way I can figure to make a perfect square is dive the size you way, by 5 for the # of sc's and 4 for the # of rows.

Good luck:hook

Mary Jo, how did you make that graph? I was looking the other day for some software or a website to do that. I couldn't find anything.

Kimberlina,

I or rather John made it with software called instant stitch Deluxe. Here is a web site for it http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000668BQ/qid%3D1139095152/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-1284836-8784851

It is basically a software for cross stitch, but I use the graphs for crocheting. My Tinker Bell afghan for my Granddaughter was made with a graph from this software. :hook

Archived