favourite crochet hooks

I like aluminum hooks by Susan Bates and I buy them at Michaels. I like the Bates hooks because they don't snag on soft yarn and because I can work faster with them.

For aluminum hooks I like Boye, Bates just isn't as comfortable for me to work with for some reason. I bought my aluminum hooks so long ago I don't even remember where I got them. My very favorite hooks though are Bill's hand-carved Turn of the Century hooks. Bill's hooks are slender and fit beautifully in the hand, not to mention that the way he turns the hook portion means they just glide through the yarn as you work. I have to also say that my new Jimbo Hook is really nice too, I just haven't gotten a chance to use it much since I'm in the middle of a huge project atm that uses a different size :(

I have always used Boye aluminum hooks (and steel hooks too), probably because those are the hooks my mom and grandmother had, and that I learned on. I've had my hooks for a very long time. But if one goes missing, I usually end up buying new ones from Wal-Mart, Michael's, or Hobby Lobby, whichever store has them cheaper at the time. (All these stores are within a mile of each other.)

I have one Brittany bamboo J hook that I love. I want to get some of the Turn of the Century hooks, too. I'm hoping to get some for my birthday coming up in March.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OZARKTWIST-Crochet-Hook-Hooks-PEACOCK-G_W0QQitemZ8255373475QQcategoryZ28140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've got several Boye in all the sizes that I've had since I started. I've got a set of plastic off brand needles that I seldom use. My very favorite is like the one above (only it's "I" and it's a charcoal black color). I love how the twist feels. Wish I could afford more sizes, but I got extremely lucky with the one I got (beinig Christmas eve & no one bidding at the last minute). I've been scoping out Jimbo's hooks. I might just have to have him make me a "J" hook, as "I" & "J" are my favorite sizes!

I have an "H", "I", "J", & "K" from Turn of the Century hooks that my mom got me for Christmas one year. They are so beautiful, and so special since my mom gave them to me, but the fancy ridges at the ends rub blisters on my ring & pinky fingers :sigh . I love the wood hooks, but how I hold the needle, they need to be smooth on the end of the hook.

I like the Bates and Clover handled hooks best so far. I just got some Addi handled hooks that I think I like too-I get mine from Michael's or the local yarn shop since she'll custom order for me.

I like the Susan Bates hooks the best. Hmm where do I buy them well many of my hooks I have had for over 30 years I bought them at a what was called a 5 and 10 cent store. Although things were more then 5 or 10 cents lol . The newer hooks well I buy them at different places. .Michaels or mail order but still my favorite is Susan Bates.

:hook

Archived