Felted wool items - are they itchy?

Ok, I LOVE how felted items look, but I can not stand wool; makes me itch like crazy :( So my question is this

"If I wore a pair of felted wool mittens/slippers/a hat etc. would it still make me itchy?"

Thanks for any input...

Tina

I haven't worn a felted item, but I can say working with wool I find a big difference in how some make my hands...not exactly itch, but sting like they are GOING to itch any minute. If that makes any sense, in fact I commented on my blog how certain wools seem softer (Peruvian and Turkish are the two I noticed) so maybe you can find a wool you like and take it from there.

I enthusiastically recommend Marr Haven wool. The natural colors are entirely chemical free, and are the softest wool I have ever touched.http://www.marrhaven.com/yarn.html

There is a review at Knitter's Review:

http://knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/020919_a.asp

I am not affiliated with them in any way, I am just blown away by this yarn. After handwashing it, it lofts and softens unbelievably. I've only done one small felting project with it (bag), and am thrilled with the outcome and the hand of the piece.

If you are truly alergic to wool, then no wool would be suitable for you. The itchyness of wool is often because it is a course type of wool. Cashmere is the wool from a goat, it is very soft. Alpaca has no lanolin and is often thought to be hypoallergenic. Alpaca does felt and is considered a wool.

Deb

Ok, I LOVE how felted items look, but I can not stand wool; makes me itch like crazy :(

Itching or wool allergies are about 98% a reaction to the chemicals in the wool, not wool itself. Many times, depending on the wool product, washing will eliminate those chemicals. So, a fulled item shouldn't be scratchy. With that said, some sheep produce a rougher wool than others so regardless it will be scratchy. Merino is always a nice soft wool to use, in my experience.:)

I have a felted hat and felted slippers. Both made with Paton's classic wool. I have never noticed the itchiness of either....but I also have alot of hair and I usually wear socks in my slippers.

Archived