Why is there no "O" hook size?

Anybody know why there is no "O" size on my Bates gauge? It goes from "N" to "P" but the "O" is nowhere to be found. I made this startling discovery after reading a post where someone much brighter than me said "why is there no "O" hook?".

And i think i have the answer.. its one of those "Who's on first?" kind of things. I can see it now...

You're looking at a pattern for a cute little thong for your upcoming get-away to the Bahamas, and go "Lets see, this calls for an"O" I need an "O"!"". And Pierre goes "Anothair one, mah leetle dumpleeng?" And you go, "OH!" And your crochet work never gets done.

You see? Thats why Susan Bates eliminated all that pesky confusion by simply eliminating the "O". Or maybe there's another reason?

Good Happy crochet carving day Jimbo!!!!!

I visited your blog spot,it is really cool, & your country is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!

I do wish that there would be an "O" hook, can you carve one, to the stats between an "N" & a "P"?? I'm sure you can..

I wish all of you up in your country a fantastic day!!!!

Yup, Carol i can but its usually by accident.... sometimes they just choose to be way...and i suppose you could call them an N and a half, or a P minus. Hook whittling's not, oh, to the nano accurate, but i try.

Yup, Carol i can but its usually by accident.... sometimes they just choose to be way...and i suppose you could call them an N and a half, or a P minus. Hook whittling's not, oh, to the nano accurate, but i try.

Hi Jimbo!!

Very good, indeed!!! your wood carving is an absolute talent that not everyone has:c9 , the reason I know that is because my Uncle, now in heaven, used to carve out furniture, the hard way, in the 1950's, back then there wasn't any fancy tools!!! my brother & I used to watch him. I'll never forget those neat memories:manyheart

In my mind, the reasoning behind no "O" hook, is that the letter looks too similar to a "0" (zero), and to eliminate confusion, there is no "O" hook.

Can you imagine looking at a pattern and seeing 0 or O and not being able to tell at a glance if it is a thread hook or large yarn hook? LOL Though I am sure we are all intelligent enough to figure it out, I think it is easier not to have to use that brain power.

Which explanation you talkinbout? "O". I suppose Smartcat's does make a leeeetle more sense. O k... i concede...they don't call her Smartcat for nuthin.

In my mind, the reasoning behind no "O" hook, is that the letter looks too similar to a "0" (zero), and to eliminate confusion, there is no "O" hook.

Can you imagine looking at a pattern and seeing 0 or O and not being able to tell at a glance if it is a thread hook or large yarn hook? LOL Though I am sure we are all intelligent enough to figure it out, I think it is easier not to have to use that brain power.

That's what I was thinking too. Little bit of a difference in size there! ;)

Yes, but thinking about all of us that crochet, I've always wondered:think why they didn't make an "O" hook? I'd like one.& for us, like myself, I also sew, & all you have to do to find out if thread, or yarn fits into a needle, is to try it, some fit, & some don't, because there are several different sized eyes in the needles, & darning needles.

You're looking at a pattern for a cute little thong for your upcoming get-away to the Bahamas, and go "Lets see, this calls for an"O" I need an "O"!"". And Pierre goes "Anothair one, mah leetle dumpleeng?" And you go, "OH!" And your crochet work never gets done.

:roflTee hee hee :rofl

Actually Lacis has a Rosewood Crochet hook in "O". It doesn't mention the size but I got mine from AC Moore so I will have to dig it out & measure it. Will post the info when I get it. Annmarie

Just to let everyone know I emailed Lacis asking the size of the "O". I will have to find my Susan Bates hook sizing chart & see if that helps.

:roflTee hee hee :rofl

Yesssssss!!!! somebody got it!!!! Eeeet was zee Joke, No? I was beeegeeneeng to theenk no one understood Fronch..

Or that it was so lame nobody bothered. Probably the latter. But not good ole Kimberlee!!! Thanks, i was dying out there!

So, how'd your trip to the woods go mon cheree? Deed you find z beeech?

Which explanation you talkinbout? "O". I suppose Smartcat's does make a leeeetle more sense. O k... i concede...they don't call her Smartcat for nuthin.

The eyes in the needles do not look like an O, they look like an 0, & they all come in different sizes, so---- so should our crochet hooks, & when we have one , our afghans, scarves, hats, etc.. we crochet with an "O" hook, will come out simply beautiful:c9

& I think that you hace some sense about you, too, Jimbo:flower :hook ......

Yesssssss!!!! somebody got it!!!! Eeeet was zee

Joke, No? I was beeegeeneeng to theenk no one understood Fronch..

Or that it was so lame nobody bothered. Probably the latter. But not good ole Kimberlee!!! Thanks, i was dying out there!

So, how'd your trip to the woods go mon cheree? Deed you find z beeech?

Of course I understood le francais joke....it eez the only other language I can speeeek....unless you count dat dere pig latin! :)

Zee trip to de foret was dee-layed messieur! I's melt in dee rain! But I took a rain chekey, so wes go dis weekend instead! I am on a mission to find you some beeeech!

:rofl Bwahahahaaaa :rofl

Of course I understood le francais joke....it eez the only other language I can speeeek....unless you count dat dere pig latin! :)

Zee trip to de foret was dee-layed messieur! I's melt in dee rain! But I took a rain chekey, so wes go dis weekend instead! I am on a mission to find you some beeeech!

I am on a mission to find you some beeeech!

uh, we don't talk like that here in Crochetville. Get it? some beech??

Oh hahaha Look out i'm on a roll Hahaha and a couple of those little laughy things The Dude put on his post!!

I am on a mission to find you some beeeech!

uh, we don't talk like that here in Crochetville. Get it? some beech??

Oh hahaha Look out i'm on a roll Hahaha and a couple of those little laughy things The Dude put on his post!!

*sigh* My apologies for the language....inexcusable and rude.....I know! 10 lashes with a wet noodle for me. :lol

oooh that makes sense. I often wondered this too.

Maybe because no one ever asked why?? or in the past, there wasn't a real need for an "O" hook:think , now, there are so many people that take time out of their day, to crochet, & they like a lot of different things,to crochet without someone telling them that they are nuts:yay ..a long time ago in the past, I think people accepted stuff like it was, not what they could invent, different afghans, scarves, coffe cup cozzies, beautiful baby sets, tops, winter hats for men as well as for children & ladies, belts, wrist warmers,etc....

Archived