Poncho Design help for a special needs child

mrs who

Question

My youngest (7 yo Gracie) is on the Autism Spectrum and among her various "dislikes" is the intense hatrid of her winter coat. (It's a lovely, lightweight, soft fleece type one in her fav. color. Nope. :grumpy Doesn't matter. :thumbdown She's not wearin' it!:yuck) Hee hee. If any of you know AS kids, you know what I mean.

So, it occured to me this week that a warm, dense, but lightweight hooded poncho *might* be something she'd tolerate. No sleeves to have to stick her arms into, no zipper to fiddle with, but a hood that I could pull up between the car and the grocery store.

I have a bucket full of Simply Soft leftovers, and she happens to like SS and like the colors. I've been experimenting with patterns, but haven't found anything that feels really warm enough for a Pennsylvania winter. I don't want to do double-strand, as I think she'll find it too bulky.

I want something warm & dense, but light weight. I want to design it to pull over the head easily, but still keep out the wind, so I'm thinking an open neck w/tie, maybe? A nice hood -trimmed with fun fur so she wants to wear it. Should I make it more fitted/cape-like with hand slits? Or, should I make a square, wider one with lots of arm room?

Design ideas are welcome! I think it could be a lot of fun to design but I want it to serve it's purpose first and foremost.

Ideas are welcome! :)

9 answers to this question

Here's a link with "Full, Solid Crochet Stitches" which might give you some ideas. I found the sweater stitch (I think?) that you used on your Fluffy Pink Shrug was pretty warm & dense, but I used Dazzleaire and a small hook, so I don't know how it would be with SS.

As for the style, I think the square type would be good, but maybe sew up the sides a bit from the bottom to keep the wind out, leaving a generous arm opening so it's not uncomfortable.

:manyheart

What about this pattern?

http://www.coatsandclark.com/fun_and_free/yarn/lw1423.htm

It's made with Light and Lofty, which is both soft and warm. I have a scarf from it that I love. You would want to make it longer, I think.

P.S.: My nephew has Asperger's Syndrome, so I completely understand. . .

My kids are not autistic, but my daughter is very picky and quite oversensitive to many things, including clothes (they just feel weird sometimes). I'm not sure about your daughters specific aversion, but you might try these patterns:

Child's Poncho Sweater:

http://emeraldmooncreations.tripod.com/id15.html

OR

I designed a poncho for my son (he was a little jealous of his sister's but wanted something 'boyish'). I just did two identicle squares (about 45") in double crochet (I used Bernat camouflage), then sewed the shoulders leaving a neck opening. Then I double crocheted a hood directly on the neck opening. It's very warm, withough being bulky and it leaves him plenty of room to move. You could make a chain to weave around the hood, so that you can tie it as tight as she likes.

Good luck!

Would lining the finished poncho with no-sew fleece make it nice and snuggly without being too bulky? You could also add 'secret pockets' in the lining for whatever she might want to stash away!

Laurie, this is just a thought......Does your daughter like beads? If she likes sparkly beads or buttons, you can try adding these to the poncho to make wearing it more appealing to her. You can have her help you pick out what beads and buttons she would want, and maybe this will help her look forward to wearing it when it is finished too. If she has a favorite doll, you can make a miniature poncho for the doll too, so that she and her doll can go out in matching ponchos (this might make it more fun for her to wear the poncho). Have you thought about whether or not you want a square poncho (more pointed corners), or a more rounded poncho? With my own daughter, the longer point in the front of her poncho bothers her when she sits in a car seat, because it tends to bunch up around her waist. I wish now that I had made her a shorter, more rounded one because of this.

Laurie, this is just a thought......Does your daughter like beads? ..... If she has a favorite doll, you can make a miniature poncho for the doll too ..... I wish now that I had made her a shorter, more rounded one because of this.

Wow! You ladies are so thoughtful and creative. Brilliant ideas!!! I think you're right that rounder is better and the beads are the best idea. She loves beads and earns beads every day as part of her behavioral therapy. So we have a bead stash. :) She also loves her little velvet build-a-bear and takes her everywhere. A matching poncho is perfect. (Maybe with ear-holes for the bear?)

What super ideas you all are giving me. Thank you. :manyheart

Archived